resume rules

nick18_in

MP Guru
resume rules

Looking for a job or internship? How do you improve your chances of getting selected purely on basis of your resume? Uditvanu Das offers tips that will help you get noticed

SO you’re done with your HSC exams, and don’t want to sit at a coffee shop and let the hours fly? A perfect solution and a great place for you to learn new skills - a summer job. You need one really, important thing - A resume! A resume is the first and most important step in getting yourself noticed. Here are some pointers on creating a good resume.

Q. What should the resume content be about?

A. It’s about YOU. If you’re a student who’s just completed his exams it is unlikely that you have job experience, so you should include your educational qualifications and extra curriculars.“If you have some job experience, then don’t just include where you worked, mention what you did there and how you enhanced the company,” says the HR head of a company.

Q. Biggest mistake...?

A. Some people tend to forget the job objective! A job objective gives employers an insight into what you wish you accomplish and how you will add to their company.

Q. What is the ideal format for a resume for students or professionals?

A. For students the ideal resume format is as follows A) Name B) Address C) Date of Birth D) Contact Number E) Email Address F) Objectives G) Educational Qualifications H) Academic Achievements I) Extracurricular Activities J) Hobbies K) Work Experience(if any)
B. For professional or people with prior experience in their fields the resume format is as follows: A) Name B) Address C) Contact Number D) Email Address E) Career Objectives F) Work Experience G) Educational Qualifications H) Extracurricular Activities I) Hobbies J) Name of References

Q. What font should we use when writing a resume?

A. Ideally the font to be used should be either Times New Roman, Book Antiqua or Garamond.The font size should not exceed 12 for headings and 11 for content.

Q. What must you include in a cover letter?

A.When one is sending a resume to the employer a cover letter is needed so that the employer gets a basis to read your resume.Your cover letter should include the following: A) Name B) Qualifications( last achieved) C) Interested for which designation D) Brief two or three lines on oneself.

Hope the margin of error in your resumes has reduced. So go ahead, knock the socks off your employers!

getimage.dll

Courtesy :: Times of India... Education Times.. dtd.. 20th April'06

uditvanu.das

hey there,
just thought i'd let you know that i'd written this post for education times in 2006.

was surprised and pleased to find it here. cheers!:rockon: