Benefits of the MBA Exchange Program

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
“I’m studying in Rotterdam for eight weeks,” I would tellpeople.

“Where?”

“It’s in the Netherlands. Thirty minutes awayfrom Amsterdam.”

My decision to study in Rotterdam during my MBA as part of the Outgoing Exchange Program baffled many individuals. Unlike my fellow Fuquans who were basking in the sunshine in Melbourne or drinking sangria in Barcelona, I chose to do my exchange program in a cold, cloudy city, where the most popular thing to eat was a cold cheese sandwich.

But the reputations of Erasmus University and the Rotterdam School (RSM) of Management were big enough draws. I also wanted to be the only Fuquan in my program. While I love being a member of the Fuqua community, I wanted the opportunity to make connections in a global program. My experience as an exchange student at RSM met my expectations and more.

Taking Classes Unique to RSM

My concentrations at Fuqua were in corporate finance and investments, which prepared me well for my career. However, I also have an interest in entrepreneurship and innovation. At RSM, I took three elective courses in the MSc Management of Innovation curriculum, complementing my studies at Fuqua.

All MBA exchange students were required to take courses in the specialized master program and not from the MBA curriculum. Thus, courses were more driven by academic theory and a focus on reading academic papers as opposed to focusing on cases as MBA students are used to. At first, I thought I made a mistake of selecting this program because of the amount of work required. However, the in-class discussion of theoretical concepts gave me a new perspective on practical applications.

Coursework at RSM was still practical. Each course emphasized group work. Similar to my experience at Fuqua, teamwork is integral to individual success. Professors brought in speakers from local startup companies, where students had to evaluate their business models and provide recommendations to senior management. One of my courses even required onsite visits to local companies. Before starting my exchange, I did not think I would be touring a global carpet manufacturer in rural Holland, but there I was.

Bonnie-Kong-exchange-in-Rotterdam-factory-768x1024.jpg
Touring a carpet manufacturer in ScherpenzeelTaking Advantage of Networking Events Abroad

As a frequent attendee of startup events in the U.S., I knew I wanted to attend similar events abroad. The Netherlands has a burgeoning startup ecosystem, and Dutch people are known to be entrepreneurial and design-focused. With the ease of public transportation in the country, I was able to attend events in Rotterdam and neighboring cities.

My favorite events were hosted by Female Ventures and the Next Women, two Dutch organizations supporting women in entrepreneurship and venture capital. While I was not a member of these groups, the event organizers welcomed me with open arms. Attending these events gave me insight into fundraising and the types of startups in the country. While there are challenges and opportunities unique to the Netherlands, l learned some best practices to bring home.

Bonnie-Kong-exchange-in-Rotterdam-presentation.jpg
Female Ventures event in Deloitte’s Amsterdam office Establishing Connections with Students from Around the World

I was a member of a diverse cohort and one of three Americans in a group of 40-plus exchange students. Through my program, I made friends from top-ranked business schools who traveled to Rotterdam from as far as Johannesburg and as close as Oslo. Our conversations ranged from understanding the economies in our home countries to celebrating the traditions of our cultures. Because it was a new culture and environment for all of us, we took the opportunity to explore local events and Rotterdam’s eclectic nightlife.

Being an exchange student during the semester also meant taking classes with full-time students at RSM. Because class sizes were small, I was able to establish relationships with many of the current students and understand Dutch culture on a deeper level. One of my Dutch friends came from a family of restauranteurs. As her family was Indo-Dutch, it was interesting hearing stories about their start in a new country and learning about the diversity of the Netherlands.

Doing a term-long exchange was one of the highlights of my business school experience. I am grateful for the insights I gained and the friendships I made, as they will be valuable to my career and personal development.

The post Benefits of the MBA Exchange Program appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.

bpmuomY40Ig

More...

How does this impact your International MBA decision?

I'd be glad to learn your thoughts on this story : Benefits of the MBA Exchange Program

Himanshi Agarwal

"Students are able to take courses in specialty topics, such as luxury brand management or sustainability and corporate social responsibility, that may not be available at his or her home school.” “In terms of professional benefits, students gain a greater understanding of cross-cultural trade and business practices."

poornima lagadapati

exchange programs provide students with an opportunity to study in a different country and environment experiencing the history and culture of another country, as well as meeting new friends to enrich their personal development.