NiCk Da Posts..!!

Entrepreneurial Speech by Mr. Narayan Murthy

Hi All,

An excellent speech of Mr. Narayan Murthy, Chief Mentor of Infosys, on Reflection of an Entrepreneur to the Wharton graduating MBA class of 2001.

It reminds us What is an Entrepreneurship in today’s scenario?, that is also in such a time where we all are hearing about Scams and lack of Corporate Governance and all unethical business practices.

I am strongly recommending you to read his speech. A class of its own.

Attachments

• Reflections_of_a_Entrepreneur__NR_Murthy____Wharton.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 81

nick18_in

MP Guru
How Do You Manage to Manage Your Time?

How Do You Manage to Manage Your Time?

Which Rolling Stones song do YOU wake up singing every morning? "Time is on my side, yes it is!" OR "Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me."

With apologies to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, your answer to this question reveals your mindset about time management. It's just like Henry Ford's famous quote - "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you're right!"

Successful time management, like every other aspect of success, is first of all a mindset. Then there are some simple guidelines that, if followed consistently, will lead you to becoming a master of your time rather than a slave to it.

"I don't have time!"

Let's take a look at how your mind is programmed about time. The majority of people are convinced they don't have enough time and walk around constantly saying, "I don't have time! I don't have time!" to themselves, almost as their mantra. And they also talk to others about how busy and stressed out they are, as if this were some badge of honor.

Yet if I were to stop and ask them, "Can you think of someone who's more successful than you?" The response would be, "Of course!" Then I'd ask if they had the same 24 hours in a day, to which I usually get a dumfounded look and, "Well, yeah, I guess so ..." So the real issue is not having enough time, it's how they are managing (or, in most cases, NOT managing) their time.

A simple time management formula.
The truth is, most people don't manage their time at all ... they let other people and situations manage it - and that's called "normal."

These just happen to be the same people who don't have a mission statement and don't write down their goals. (Interesting coincidence, isn't it?) So here's a simple formula for you to begin to take control of your time:

1. Create a Mission Statement for your career. A Mission Statement is a paragraph that describes who you are and where you're going. In my definition, a Mission Statement also describes your major goals and a deadline, typically one year out. To easily create a Mission Statement, go to
www.nightingale.com/mission.

2. Write down your yearly goals based upon your Mission Statement in all areas of your life: mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual. Mental goals relate to your career and your financial well-being. Physical goals are for the shape of your body and what you put in it. Emotional goals are for your
relationships in life, both personal and professional. And spiritual goals are for the things you do to get you more in touch with your spirit, whatever that means to you.

3. Divide out your goals in these four areas. First, divide by 4 to get your quarterly goals. Then divide by 3 to get your monthly goals. Finally divide by 4 again to get your weekly goals. For example, if your Mission Statement goal was to make $120,000 in commissions and bonus by December 31, 2004, you would know your quarterly goal is $30,000, your monthly goal is $10,000 and your weekly goal is $2,500. As a producer, you may not be able to attain this weekly or even monthly amount. BUT - you may know that your average commission for one new client is $15,000. So you would need
8 new clients per year, 2 per quarter, one every 6 weeks. Then you would calculate how many face-to-face sales meetings it takes for you to add a new client (let's say 12), and then you know you'd need to schedule 96 appointments per year, 32 per quarter, 8 per month, and 2 per week.

4. Get out your weekly planner and write in the exact time you will be engaging in these goals. From the example above, if you needed 2 face-to-face meetings, you'd schedule in time for prospecting calls to get these on the books. You should view ALL the items you've written as APPOINTMENTS, so you don't get off track by the various inconsequential interruptions that happen throughout the course of a day.

5. As a habit, review your goals and planner DAILY to ensure you stay on track. I share with my clients a technique I call "The most important appointment of the week." It happens on the weekend, and it's with YOU. So you can pick a Saturday or Sunday morning right after coffee or a workout or perhaps Sunday evening just before the coming work week. After letting your spouse and kids know you need some "space," sit down and set up your weekly schedule just as described above. I suggest you enter this weekend appointment in your planner initially to get the discipline of doing your scheduling. I guarantee you'll sleep better knowing your upcoming week is on track with your monthly, quarterly, and yearly goals.

nick18_in

MP Guru
The Top 10 Ways to be Effectively Assertive !!!

There's a fine balance when dealing with people between the arrogant, aggressive, offensive style and the timid, submissive doormat method. The balance is in being confident enough to be assertive of personal rights and boundaries while respectful of others.
1. Know the distinction between being assertive versus being aggressive or arrogant

Assertive people promote their rights rather than stepping on those of others.
2. Have clear boundaries when dealing with others.

If you're clear where the limits are, others know as well.

3. Politely but directly, let people know your position.

Don't allow your position, point of view and feelings to be ignored. Your needs are important.

4. Affirm yourself and your good qualities.

Develop self-confidence and positive self-esteem.

5. Know what you want.

There is a time and a place to go along with others but there is also a time to reach for your own dreams.

6. Avoid being timid.

While aggressiveness steps on the rights of others, being overly timid sacrifices your own rights. Don't let others steamroller you.

7. Be willing to clearly say either yes or no and to stand by your answer.

Allow yourself to develop opinions and maintain them.

8. Avoid arrogance.

Dominance and controlling tendencies impinge on others being themselves.

9. When opinions are in question, give yourself permission to self-disclose.

Let others know your viewpoint and recognize that it is significant.

10. Take responsibility for yourself.

Don't make many excuses. Require that friends and associates take responsibility for themselves and their actions. Avoid being codependent; be careful not to dominate quieter spirits.

About the Submitter

This piece was originally submitted by Robert G. Jerus, MBA; APC; MA; Certificate in Learning Technologies and Human Development; SPHR; author of , Coach, counselor, consultant and professor, who can be reached at [email protected]. Robert G. Jerus wants you to know: professor at Southeastern college and principal at Success Dynamics International.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Top 10 Qualities of Excellence !!!

Top 10 Qualities of Excellence
By Jan Gordon
1. Natural Talent - Know Your Brilliance!
An uncut diamond has a wealth of unrealized possibility and brilliance. The beauty inherent in the diamond beckons us to develop its potential. Likewise, we are at our best when we develop our natural talent. Know your brilliance and learn to become it every day.

2. Invest in your success.
Life rewards those who are invested in their success. If you're ambivalent about what you really want, you won't get what's most important. Let what ever it is you're striving for mean something to you! Don't stay stuck if you're not happy or making progress. Invest in your success so you're completely passionate and motivated towards realizing your dream. Believe in your dream and you'll be invested in the creation of your success.

3. Integrity
When you have integrity, your word means something. If people can't depend on your word, integrity's lacking. If your actions aren't aligned with your words, a disconnect occurs ­ this disconnect then compromises your integrity. Integrity is the quality of being complete and undivided ­ living from "what's right." Live life so that you are always in a state of integrity.

4. Passion
Passion is that which deeply moves us. It's the fire from within and that which motivates us. Passion deeply stirs us and compels us into action. Passion gives us the ability to be touched, moved and inspired. Passion is at the core of excellence ­ tap into yours and let it guide your vision!

5. High Standards
Excellence implies striving for quality. Standards of excellence are those that are flawless and impeccable. Do you complete work? Do you surround yourself with people who nourish your spirit and intellect? Do you address discrepancies or concerns on the spot? Good isn't enough; we need to exceed expectations and continually raise the bar for excellence. In this way, quality is continually generated.

6. Creativity and Innovation
Creativity and innovation require openness and questioning. The belief that anything's possible paves the way for creative thinking. *Outside of the box* thinking produces innovation, and what company doesn't want to be at the forefront of innovation? Creativity and innovation require a boldness to play and discover... to be comfortable enough to admit that one doesn't know the answers. It's in the openness to not knowing the answers that allow creativity and innovation to be born.

7. Self Awareness
Self-awareness, particularly about the supports and structures that bring out our best, is key. Lacking self-awareness is like stumbling in the dark - one randomly bumps into what one is looking for. Contrast this to knowing exactly the supports and structures that support you. With self-awareness, one is able to get oneself *into the zone* with precision and accuracy. Pay attention and observe yourself to enhance your self-awareness skills.

8. Commitment
Commitment implies a willingness and a *stick-to-it-ness.* If one is committed, one's support is uncompromising and unending. One is willing to do anything in support of the commitment. Commitment drives us and anchors us during challenging times. Commitment enables us to maintain a high degree of perseverance. Commitment opens the door to self-mastery and excellence.

9. Showing Up
It doesn't matter HOW we show up, what matters is THAT we show up. Day after day, step after step. Don't let temporary obstacles keep you from showing up on a day to day basis. Pace yourself like an athlete and learn to develop new habits by incorporating the behavior on a day to day to day basis. Show up no matter what, and you'll gain stability and forward momentum as you move your vision forward.

10. Contribution
Looking back, what do you want the memories of your life to be? Excellence isn't solely about success, measured by how much money or notoriety we gain. Success is definitely not excellence if we've stomped on people en route to our goals!

Excellence is about contributing our best to the world while evoking others to do the same. It's about understanding our place and making our mark in the world, as we attempt to make it a better place. Excellence is about contribution and honoring others as we move forward towards our vision. Excellence lies in the hearts of all who evoke it in others by mentoring, supporting, exemplifying and giving back.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Top 10 Questions for Quality Improvement !!!

Top 10 Questions for Quality ImprovementBy Jan Gordon1. What did I do right?
It's always best to build upon one's strengths. Know what your strengths are so you can leverage them into something even greater.

2. What could I have done differently?
In everything, there's always room for improvement. Look for the gaps between your vision and where you're at when you answer this question. Effective quality improvement balances the approach of living from our strengths along with the more critical perspective that includes looking for the improvement opportunities.

3. What lessons have I learned from this?
Asking this question on a routine basis is a key step towards taking responsibility for one's growth and development. In addition, answering this question forces you to put into words your learning experience and outcomes. Putting your learning into words creates clarity, commitment and a strong presence.

4. What would I do differently next time?
This question helps to strengthen one's strategizing muscle. Looking at situations from different perspectives is foundational for problem-solving, strategizing and quality improvement.

5. What do I want from this?
It's essential to know the outcomes you want. Knowing the outcomes you're striving for will guide you in your decision-making -- you'll know what you're willing to compromise on, and what you're not. You'll know your upper-most limits as well as your lowest.

6. What is my motivation?
Having self-understanding is key to knowledge and healthy/productive relationships. Having an understanding of yourself will help you to understand others, and in turn, will catapult outstanding results.

7. What do I have to gain?
Be careful about what you wish for! Don't give yourself to the pursuit of a goal for the sport of it; be absolutely sure of what you want and why you want it.

8. What is the cost?
All things have a cost. The best things have a cost. Know what they are.

9. Where does this fit into my life?
Answering this question leads to perspective. Paying attention to the whole of life, and not just our pursuits creates a balanced approach to living.

10. What personal value is being expressed?
Ultimately, we are at our best and are most fulfilled when we're expressing and living from our core values. Know what your core values are and let them guide your behavior for maximum fulfillment and success!

nick18_in

MP Guru
Top Ten Tips for Improving the Quality of Your Work Life !!

We all desire a work experience that can fit neatly with our personal lives. We all seek balance. Too often however peoples' work life overpowers the rest of their life. And when that happens, we can very easily find ourselves struggling to keep up in all areas of our lives.
The following ten tips are designed to get you thinking. They apply as much to the CEO as they do to the front line worker:
1)Have a personal vision of who you want to be and what you want to do - keep in mind that if you do not have one for yourself, you will likely become part of someone else's vision!
2)Test out your own personal vision with that of your organization's - in how many ways do they support each other? Ask questions to better understand your organization's mission, vision and values.
3)Learn, and keep on learning - go to training sessions and in-services, enroll in college courses, read books. Know why, not just how.
4)Buddy-up - find ways to share the load with other team members. Sharing the load makes work easier to manage and less stressful.
5)Share your successes - this allows you to learn from the successes of others, as well as giving you a boost when you need
6)Get it off your chest - talk things over with your buddy, friend, supervisor when things trouble you, don't keep it bottled up inside.
7))Find joy in being of service to others - think about how the person you are serving is better off as a result of your work, and rejoice in that knowledge.
8)Take time for breaks - pay particular attention to the need to refresh body, mind and spirit.
9)Try out new ideas - to innovate is to grow. By using your creativity and innovation life becomes exciting and fulfilling.
10)Have fun at work - laughter is the best medicine, but use only appropriate humor. Damaging someone else's self-esteem for the fun of it is no laughing matter.
By Judy Worrell & Brian Ward

nick18_in

MP Guru
Top Ten Questions to Measure Whether You're a Top Manager !!!

Top Ten Questions to Measure Whether You're a Top Manager!
By Jan Gordon
Ask a manager what kind of boss they are ­ the typical response is: "I do a good job." A manager will often respond by saying: "I'm able to get things done. I accomplish goals within a specified time period and I utilize team members effectively."

Ask team members or employees the same question about what kind of boss you are, and you'll probably get a very different answer! Too often, we don't ask employees questions that if honestly answered, we'd learn a great deal from. If we'd ask questions that we weren't afraid of hearing the answers to, we'd learn enormous amounts. An inquiry of this kind could have tremendous impact on our personal and professional development by helping us to identify areas for growth based on our listening to of others.

Think about it. As much as you enjoy appreciation and validation, don't you learn more from differences of opinion?
Here are some questions from the book "First Break All The Rules" (Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman & The Gallop Organization) that have the potential for opening new horizons for growth if you listen carefully to the answers. Take action on the responses. As you do, you'll be upgrading your communication and managerial skills - becoming a top manager in the process!
(Hint: you must precede your request for employees' opinions by demonstrating your commitment to a learning environment. If people don't feel safe, they won't speak their minds. It's up to you to create an environment that allows for freedom of _expression for positive gain. Give permission and create a space for employees to speak their minds. The benefits will be worth it.)

"As for the best leaders, the people do not notice their existence. The next best, the people honor and praise. The next, the people fear; and the next, the people hate. When the best leader's work is done, the people say, 'We did it ourselves'."
- Lao-Tzu

The questions are:
1. Do I know what's expected of me at work? Not only in terms of actual job function, but in a systemic context as well. Other questions include: Am I expected to change things or maintain the status quo? Am I expected to come up with new ideas, or keep my mouth shut? What is expected of me given the culture of my organization?

2. Do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?

3. Does my supervisor care about me as a person?
4. Do I have the resources I need?
5. Have I recently received recognition for good work?
6. Is there someone who encourages my development?
7. Do my opinions matter?
8. Do I feel that my job is important, within the context of the organization's long-term vision and mission?
9. Are my co-workers committed to excellence?
10. This year, have I had an opportunity to grow? Am I challenged and inspired in my current project or assignment?

Re: Be good to yourself

nick18_in said:
Hi All,
You are good to your colleagues, spouse, children and friends.
However, are you good to yourself? Check it out by answering the
following questions as YES or NO

1. Do you give yourself the same care and attention you give others?

2. Do you re-charge your energies frequently?

3. Do you spend some time quietly alone, just alone, away from your
family, friends and colleagues?

4. Can you say no to others without feeling guilty?

5. Do you feel that though you may not be perfect, you are good-
enough?

6. Do you feel that you have the right to be treated with respect as
a worthwile, intelligent and competent person?

7. Do you treat yourself to a few goodies once in a while?

8. Do you forgive yourself for past mistakes in life?

9. Do you still do the wild things you did as a child like dancing
in the rain, climbing a tree, humming a soft tune etc.?

10. Do you care for your own health?

Give yourself 1 point for every YES and do let me know your score.
Be good to yourself - you deserve it, every bit of it.

SCORES ARE UNDER... BUT DONT CHEAT YOURSELF..

DO LET US KNOW YOUR SCORES TOO.. :)
Thanks for taking time off your busy schedule to answer these questions. Now for the scores:

0 - It's high time you start thinking about yourself too
1-4 - Good. You realise that you need to take care of yourself too. And you have made a beginning in that direction.
5-7 You know how to balance your life. Gr8
8,9 Eh, you can coach others on how to lead a healthy, assertive and happy life.
10 I would like to meet you. I haven't come across anyone with a perfect 10

Hi, nick. I want to tell something
As for ur question, i got 2 YES, ur answer to it -
1-4 - Good. You realise that you need to take care of yourself too. And you have made a beginning in that direction.
But, i think u made mistake while psting this thread.
I think NO answers r better here than YES as u asked 10 questions.
e.g. :-3. Do you spend some time quietly alone, just alone, away from your
family, friends and colleagues?
It's answer will come from majority - NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO. as far as young guys concerned, as we r, i don't think so one can live without family, friends and colleagues. So, i don't like ur thread. Reply me.
- - -REGARDS RAHUL- - -

nick18_in

MP Guru
The Eleven Biggest Time Management Lies !!

Dear Colleagues,

During our commitments, we take recourse to various statements which have time management angle in it.

Here is a nice article in this context, by Dr Donald E Wetmore. Hope you all will like it.

In the world of Time Management there are things said to us that we accept as truth and we act accordingly. The problem is sometimes they are not truths. They are lies and as we believe them, they waste our time.

Those who speak these lies to us are not bad people at all because you and I are among them. We all speak these untruths to one another from time to time. So let's not wish harm and doom to the liars. Let's avoid the time traps their lying may cause us.

Here are the eleven biggest lies to shield yourself from.

1. "This will just take a minute." Has anyone grabbed you with that line? Does it ever "just take a minute"? Rarely. What typically "just takes a minute", generally consumes several minutes and more.
Next time, when someone asks for your time and assures you," This will just take a minute", tell them, "You're lying. You may not realize you're lying, but you are. I'll give you five minutes. You may begin now."

2. "I need this as soon as possible." No you don't. That's a lie too. You need it by a certain date and time because you are going to do something with what I provide for you. And if you're not going to do anything with what I provide for you, why am I doing it for you in the first place?
Don't lie to me. Tell me when I have to get it to you. Be specific. You and I probably have two difference dates in mind when we think in terms of "as soon as possible".

3. "I want this now." I doubt it. In this 24/7/365 world, everyone is under a sense of artificial pressure to get it done "now" or worse," yesterday".
Things are generally not that urgent. Don't get caught up in someone else's urgent trivialities.
Call the liar to task. "I'm not sure I can get that done now. What if I got it to you one week from today?" Use an outside deadline to give yourself ample time to prevent getting into crisis management.
Oh, and if they reject that alternative, try three better dates for you. Why? Because they may keep lying to you.

4. "It's not about the money." When it's not about the money, it's about the money.

5. "This is the best (investment, business opportunity, book, movie, restaurant, boss, job, etc.) you'll ever find." Not true. There's always something better. The best is yet to come.

6. "I can get this done in an hour." It's a fib. Ever notice how it almost always takes twice as long to get something done as what you thought it would? That's because few of us have a very accurate internal clock to estimate the time required to complete most tasks.

7. "He's a' late' person." Most people who are "late" have a consistency about their behavior. My friend Dwayne is 20 minutes late all the time. If we need to meet for lunch tomorrow, it will take him 24 hours and twenty minutes to get there.
Dwayne is not "late". He's "On-time; 20 minutes later".

8."No Cost." You don't get "nothing for nothing". Everything has a cost. It may not cost you your money but more often it will be your time and more of it than what you are getting in return for "no cost".

9. "I'll prove you're wrong if it's the last thing I do." And it may well be. No one wants to be proven wrong. Everyone likes to be caught doing things "right". Most, however, don't mind being shown how to do things better.

10. "By the time I show him how to do it I could just as quickly have done it myself." If it's a one-time proposition this may be true. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend an hour to show someone how to do a task that takes only 10 minutes.
But if it's a repetitive task, it's a lie. If that one hour investment will save you 10 minutes every day, then in about a week you have your investment back and now you have a dividend of 10 extra minutes a day. What if you do that six different times? You get an extra hour in your day and 365 hours over the next year.

11. "This is going to be really hard." Not true. Going through whatever you have to go through is almost never as difficult as you imagined it to be.
Mr. Smith, my high school principal, taught me that 95% of what we fear coming at us will never hit us. It will ditch itself before it ever reaches us. And as to the remaining 5%, God has given us the tools to deal with it.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Top Ten Tips To Attract, Retain and Motivate Employees !!

by Dob Grimme

1. Pay employees fairly and well, then get them to forget about money.

2. Treat each and every employee with respect. Show them that you care about them as persons, not just as workers.

3. Praise accomplishments...and attempts:
  • Both large and small
  • Verbally and in writing
  • At least 4 times more than you "criticize"
  • Promptly (as soon as observed)
  • Publicly … and in private
  • Sincerely
4. Clearly communicate goals, responsibilities and expectations. NEVER criticize in public - redirect in private.
5. Recognize performance appropriately and consistently:
  • Reward outstanding performance (e.g., with promotions and opportunities)
  • Do not tolerate sustained poor performance - coach & train or remove!
6. Involve employees in plans and decisions, especially those that affect them. Solicit their ideas and opinions. Encourage initiative.

7. Create opportunities for employees to learn & grow. Link the goals of the organization with the goals of each individual in it.

8. Actively listen to employees concerns - both work-related and personal.

9. Share information - promptly, openly and clearly. Tell the truth … with compassion.

10. Celebrate successes and milestones reached - organizational and personal. Create an organizational culture that is open, trusting and fun.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Tongue is a Weapon of Hurt !!

We inflict pain on each other in many ways, yet the greatest hurt that has come to the world it that which comes from our words. Your tongue is the dagger that you have to be careful of. This is obviously not the thing we have in mind when we speak. We talk because communication is the only way that we can survive. But it is not the talking that is destructive but the revenge that pours through the usage of our tongues.

It is so strange that we do not often think about the effects of what comes out of our mouth. Our words can cause wounds that might never heal. That is the poison that our tongues produce to the world. It is like the birth of pain. We might think that in time all wounds will heal, but those created by words are the ones that take the longest. It is a human flaw that can be corrected. You will be able to find the strength to right the wrong that your tongue has caused through God. It is in the giving of you that the understanding that as a human being we are not perfect.

He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, and speaks truth in his heart. He does not slander with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor takes up a reproach against his friend.

When we want to express our anger we give into the temptation of hurtful words. This is a common practice of youth. However being young does not necessarily give you the right to hurt others, even though they might have hurt you. Do not allow yourself to be ruled by your anger as this is a downfall. Often this is neglected as part of our education. It is these weights that weigh us down through life, because subconsciously we know that we have hurt others, even if we are not yet ready to admit it.

When you are feeling hurt by what someone said confront them in a rational way. Never stoop down to their level. Faith gives you the strength you need to tame your inner demons. Let the word of the God soothe your anger and allow rationality and calmness to enter your heart. That way you will not fall into the philosophy of an eye for an eye.

Remember how it felt when you were hurt with words, is that the same kind of pain that you would want another human being to feel? Walking the path of righteousness is not easy but the rewards are great and when you fall, you are not left in the darkness. Even though it might seem hard, there is always a light through the dark tunnel. All you have to do is allow yourself to be reached. Open your heart to the one person who knows and understands your needs.

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

This is the morality that is taught in the word. Reach out and find that humanity that God has instilled in you and use it as a weapon that will help you control your tongue. Ignorance is an excuse that you can use for so long. Do not pretend that you do not know what is being spoken about. Your tongue is something to be watched. But the tongue is just the messenger; it all begins in your mind. It takes a whole lot of strength to find the courage to allow yourself to forgive. The tongue only relays the message that is formulated in our hearts and minds. It is the revenge that boils in our hearts that makes it all impossible. But when you cannot let go of the pain and frustration that leads to pure and destructive anger, ask for guidance and strength.

Faith helps us to grow; it provides us a shelter against our own weaknesses. This is the reason why being strong in your faith from a young age helps you better face the challenges of life. In this day and age, having a solid hold onto ones faith is vital for survival. Faith is the sanity that we need when the world is crowding in on us. It is the nurturer of dreams and aspiration. In one a few words, faith is our very existence. The harsh sun of life will always try to burn us, but don't allow yourself to be claimed.

Being a crowd pleaser by denouncing your faith will lead you to be more destructive, even though your intentions were good. Allow God to encourage discipline into your life and you in turn can bring joy and not pain to the people around you.

Harvest the rewards of laying your head on the lap of the Almighty Father. He alone would never give you something that you cannot handle. Your faith will give you the strength to prevail where others might have failed.

By C. F Bettridge