Confusing words 1 (must read)

creat!ve

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Alternate: To occur in a successive manner

Alternative: (of one or more things)available as another possibility

Acceptance: The act or process of accepting

Acceptation: the act of accepting with approval;

Accession: He attainment or acquisition of a position of Rank or power (the Queen’s accession to the throne)

Access: he right or opportunity to use or benefit from something

Act: do something

Action: process of doing something

Admission: the process or fact of entering or being allowed to enter a place, organization, or institution (her condition required frequent hospital admissions)

Admittance: the process or fact of entering or being allowed to enter a place or institution: people were unable to gain admittance to the hall

Artist: a person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby

Artiste: a professional entertainer, esp. a singer or dancer

Artisan: a worker in a skilled trade, esp. one that involves making things by hand

Artistic: having or revealing natural creative skill

Artful: clever or skillful, typically in a crafty or cunning way

Artificial: made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, typically as a copy of something natural

Appropriateness: devote (money or assets) to a special purpose: there can be problems in appropriating funds for legal expenses.

Appropriation: the action of taking something for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission:

Affection: a gentle feeling of fondness or liking:

Affectation: behavior, speech, or writing that is artificial and designed to impress

Beside: at the side of; next to: he sat beside me in the front seat

Besides: in addition to; apart from: I have no other family besides my parents

Barbarian: an uncultured or brutish person[a member of a community or tribe not belonging to one of the great civilizations (Greek, Roman, Christian).]

Barbaric: savagely cruel; exceedingly brutal

Barbarous: savagely cruel; exceedingly brutal: many early child-rearing practices were barbarous by modern standards.

Barbarism: absence of culture and civilization. A word or expression that is badly formed according to traditional philological rules

Barbarity: extreme cruelty or brutality: the barbarity displayed by the terrorists (the Nazi barbarities of the last war)

Beneficial: favorable or advantageous; resulting in good

Beneficent: (of a person) generous or doing good

Confident: feeling or showing confidence in oneself; self-assured: she was a confident, outgoing girl

Confidant: a person with whom one shares a secret or private matter, trusting them not to repeat it to others.

Completeness: having all the necessary or appropriate parts: a complete list of courses offered by the university

Completion: the action or process of finishing something:

Ceremonious: relating or appropriate to grand and formal occasions: a Great Hall where ceremonious and public appearances were made.

Ceremonial: relating to or used for formal events of a religious or public nature: a ceremonial Buddhist headpiece

Contemptible: deserving contempt; despicable: a display of contemptible cowardice

Contemptuous: showing contempt; scornful: she was intolerant and contemptuous of the majority of the human race.

Comprehensive: complete; including all or nearly all elements or aspects of something: a

comprehensive list of sources. Of large content or scope; wide-ranging: a comprehensive collection of photographs

Comprehensible: able to be understood; intelligible: clear and comprehensible English.

Considerable: notably large in size, amount, or extent: a position of considerable influence

Considerate: careful not to cause inconvenience or hurt to others:

Continuous: forming an unbroken whole; without interruption: the whole performance is enacted in one continuous movement.

Continual: frequently recurring; always happening: his plane went down after continual attacks

Continuance: the state of remaining in existence or operation: his interests encouraged him to favor the continuance of war.

Continuation: the action of carrying something on over a period of time or the process of being carried on: the continuation of discussions about a permanent peace.

Corporal: relating to the human body.

Corporeal: relating to a person's body, esp. as opposed to their spirit: he was frank about his corporeal appetites

Childish: like, or appropriate to a child: childish enthusiasm. silly and immature: a childish outburst.

Child-like: (of an adult) having good qualities associated with a child: she speaks with a childlike directness

Complacent: showing smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements: you can't afford to be complacent about security.

Complaisant: willing to please others;

Dependent: requiring someone or something for financial, emotional, or other support

Dependant: Relying on or requiring the aid of another for support

Dependence: the state of relying on or being controlled by someone or something else: Japan's dependence on imported oil. reliance on someone or something for financial support:

Dependency: the country's dependency on the oil industry.

Disinterested: the state of not being influenced by personal involvement in something;

Uninterested: not interested in or concerned about something or someone: I was totally uninterested in boys

Distinctness:
recognizably different in nature from something else of a similar type: the patterns of spoken language are distinct from those of writing

Distinction: the separation of things or people into different groups according to their attributes or characteristics: I was completely unaware of class distinctions.

Divers: a person who drives a vehicle: a taxi driver

Diverse: showing a great deal of variety

Deliverance: the action of being rescued or set free

Delivery: the action of delivering letters, packages, or ordered goods

P_bms

hehehe...nice collection!! i'm new to MP...and i chanced upon this thread...wonder why so few people have read this.....its pretty amusing and true as well!!!

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Nice list guys...... but why stop at D..... there are many other such confusing words from E - Z.

I think the thread shall serve its purpose better, in the RC section... Can the mods move it.

cat_banda

Yes u right Gaurav. Hey we all at MP.com have became greedy. We want more words from E-Z. Please Post Soon.

Thanks

Regards,

Hey it is nice collection and really liked it. I am also adding some more words :

adoptive and adopted

adoptive is related to the adoption of child

adopted is related to the choosing, following of some habit, plan, theory etc

averse and adverse

averse means strongly opposed e.g averse to go to school

adverse means Contrary to your interests e.g adverse environment

ambiguous and ambivalent

ambigious-Having more than one possible meaning e.g The information on the leaflet is ambiguous.

ambivalent-Uncertain or unable to decide about what course to follow e.g I am ambivalent about going for post graduation or for MBA.