my SCMHRD GdPi expereince

shrijit_s

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hey People!!

This is my GD/PI experience @ Scmhrd..where I tght it hadnt gone tat well..but I have got a convert

I had my GD on 5th feb @ 8.00 am. The GD started @ 8.30. We were shown a clip about a person's innovative style of catching a fish. We had 2 mins to discuss. It was a very cordial discussion. Everyone got a chance to speak without any kind of chaos. We discussed for some time on the clip, analysed it, came up with few captions. However last few mins I felt the grp was wavering somewhere. But in the end a caption was finally selected. Not my caption though

The 2nd GD was a case study. It was about a company dealing in semi finished leather. But now it wants to diversify and get into the market for finished leahter goods. It wants its sales to increase frm 5 crores to 10 crores. However, there are few constraints such as
  • The quality of finished leather is a very subjective matter. There are no objective paremeters to measure quality
  • The goods have to be designed according to the tastes, fashion n trends prevalent
  • Constant supply of the goods had to be maintained.
  • Couple of points more which I dont remember
A consultant gives 4 suggestions to the companies. The group has to decide which one is the best alternative. Again a very mature discussion and a the grp finally did decide on the best alternative. Again not my alternative

Was very tensed after the GD. But 5 of 8 were slected...4 enggs n myself a sole representative of the non engg fraternity

Later an essay on short term and long term goals and how an MBA wud help me achieve that. That was quite decent.

My interview was scheduled for 2.40. Was quite tensed as this was my 1st GD/PI experience. But most candidates were saying that it is quite cool and if you have work ex they will just ask you stuff about that. Felt quite relieved on hearing that as I have 18 mths work ex. But there was something else in store for me :big_grin:

Now follows the transcript

P1: Tell me about your job
Me: Blah blah blah..felt happy that he was looking @ job part
P1: Ohh you are a malayali. Which part..tricchur?
me: No Sir frm kottayam
P1: Ohh good. so tell me which is a good investment destination tricchur or kottayam?
Me: (Clean Bowled :fear: Have not been to kerala since 7 yrs. then suddenly a light bulb shines) Sir I believe Kerala itself is not the most ideal place to invest
P1: Why so?
me: Because you start any project out there, within 20 days you have a strike taking place.
p1 laughs..I feel happy..mybe my innocence
P1: If so then why do malayaales go to middle east n wrk very hard out there..if u can give me an answer to this, then you have this seat
Me: Sir. Most Indians never think twice before spitting or loitering in India. But as soon as they go abroad , they just stop it..
p1 seems satisfied..

P2 suddenly comes up with his question: Dont u think that is good that Indians are adaptable?
Me: Yes Sir being adaptable is very good. But that is no reason for any person to not work in his own state
P1 laughs..I feel better..I guess I'm naive
P1 looks @ my form very intently and then d bombshell: You have done very well in ur BMS. You have taken finance as your main subject during graduation. Lets start there

Me: Gulp Double Gulp :fear: P1: So tell me what is discounting factor
Me knws it: So answers it.
But P1 asks for the factors invovled in that
me: Inflation and explanation on that
P1: so what if there is zero infaltion or deflation
Me: (Yorker. clean bowled.) I dont knw Sir
P1: tell me about Internal rate of return & how do u calculate it?
Me again tensed since I dont remember its calculation: but considering myself very smart I start explaining in detail abt IRR hoping that he wud forget about d 2nd question..
P1 is smarter: but I also asked how to calcutlate it
Me I dont kw Sir
P1: What is the Libor rate currently?? You must have used this in your job
Me: I dont knw Sir..I have never come across that during my job

Me is losing confidence now
P1: you must have read about S&P upgrading India's credit rating? what impact will it have
Me: Sir that will lead to more foreing money pumping in. bla blah
P1: what other impact
Me thinks for a while: also Indian companies can go abroad and raise more money since they have India's rating backing them
Me feeling smwht confident now
but then P1: what are junk bonds?? (there goes my confidence)
Me: I dont knw Sir
P2: tell me about some incident due to which you had to change smthng
Me: Blah blah blah..
P1: If you were to organise Abhishek's n Ash's wedding, what wud you do?
Me: Sir firstly I wud keep the media away frm this..
before letting me continue P1: but why so? When sachin tendulkar n anjali tendulkar got marrid, that there no such craze why shud there be one now..both are equally famous
Me: Sir @ that time media was never so TRP crazy. But now its different..blah blah
P1: hmm
P1 starts packing up and is keeping my cv back in the folder..when suddenly frm nowhere P2: One last question frm me Shrijit: you must have observed the dress code mentioned in the call letter
Me: (taken aback since I was in formals) yes sir it mentioned formals
P2: yes you are right..suppose it mentioned to come in dhoti kurta..what would you feel?
Me: Well I wud definately feel wierd on reading such an instruction
p1: would you wear it?
Me: yes Sir..I would do as the institute demands
P1: Ok thank you Shrijit. Any questions for us
Me: No Sir

Strangely I converted it!!!:SugarwareZ-191:

Cheers!!

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
PI 1 and 2 ka solid time pass ho gaya hoga :pound:

Jst kidding

Congratulations man.. Get ready Sybmi.. here he comes ;)

shrijit_s

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
kartik said:
PI 1 and 2 ka solid time pass ho gaya hoga :pound:

Jst kidding

Congratulations man.. Get ready Sybmi.. here he comes ;)

They may have more tp for couple of years!!! :bigsmile:

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Mast GD & PI gaya dude..... I liked the part when u made a witty answer on Indians going abroad and not spitting there...... in ur situation, these good things hardly come to mind....

Chal, anyway, its gr8 u finally made it to symbi.... Good luck for a successful career :smile:

Congratulations Man, Here are some basic questions asked in interview and I am sure about it. Those who wants to crack the interview just prepare this questions and you will be on the top of the table.

HR interview questions

Tell me something about your self.?
Why does this role interest you? Or why have you applied for this job?
Why do you think should we take you for this job?
Are you an Introvert or Extrovert?
What is your greatest strength?
What do you want to achieve in the next 5 years?
Are you planning to go for further studies?
What newspaper/magazine/book do you read?
Introduce yourself
Tell me something about yourself that is no written in your resume.
Do you know anyone who works with this company?
Do you have any other offer at hand?
Do you have any questions for us?