The Death Penalty: Is It Right Or Wrong?

The Death Penalty

• Right

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Wrong

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

ross18

MP Guru
The Death Penalty: Is It Right Or Wrong?

Do you believe that the death penalty should be in place and in use in society or is it a cruel and unusual punishment?

guys lets share our views on this topic...

take care...

cijothomas

Death Penality- I take this means same as CAPITAL PUNISHMENT is accepted or not?

Well, The primary intention of punishment is to make the convict good., so that he commits no more crimes. If we think in this way then its obvious that Death penality is not justified. okey?

Now another view is that The primary intention of punishment is to give a warning to society that no one from the society will commit the same crime ever.So thinking from this view, the punishments must be severe so that none will do the same crime.

If we take away capital punishment, then people may get more tempted to do crime. since what they think is "i am not gonna be hanged for doing this.. so ...... :D:"

Its one argument. But there is an opposite argument as well. There may be certain reason why the criminal commits crime. If his reason is string enough. he will COMMIT the crime whatever punishment awaits him. So thinking this way, giving death penality wont be a warning to society!!

A well knows saying.-->>

"SOCIETY PREPARES CRIME. CRIMINAL COMMITS IT"

To prevent crimes happening its not necessary to give capital punishment. Crime can be prevented by preventing the situations which leads to crime.
A country with less unemployment will be having fewer chances of criminalisms.. A country where the police and other security and tight will see fewer crimes. So we can prevent the crime by taking strict measures. Its not necessary to give capital punishment so that other wont commit the same crime!

In india we have been giving death penalities for years, still no END to crimes here! So its clear that by giving such punishments we cannot change the socitey.

So i am against giving capital punishment in general cases. But there are cases when the crime is so brutal and in such cases, capital punishment is a must!!

Regards,
Cijo Thomas
[email protected]

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
The problem with hanging rapists to death is that many a times innocent people are charged to such crime, as in the recent case where the person served decades in prison and was later proved innocent.
This means that fake sex harrasment cases in the office and exploitation of sexes for business/personal gains may work against the death penalty law.

Other aspect to consider here would be that death penalty cases go on and on for months.

In a country where there are soo many cases pending, adding to that load wouldnt be logical.

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hi,
I would say NO to the Capital punishment.Instead let him/her live and feel the pain of life.He/She must be allowed to live with some conditions imposed on him/her..Some of the conditions must be :

1.Voting rights,passport,ration cards ..etc and must be grabed away from him/her.(simply put all the Govt proof becomes invalid).

2.The money he/she has saved over the years must be scrutinsed and be given to the person affected by them.

3.He/She must given pink slip from the organisation.

4.He/She is not entitled to work anywhere in the country.

-Deepak.

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Nice set of suggestions deepak.

But the punishment to kill one person is similar to the punishment to kill a thousand.

Dont you think the above set of recommendation would inspire the criminal to commit more and more crimes !? His life is as it is miserable, why not take revenge !?

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hi Karthik,
Now-a-days when you see the depth of crimes,you'll b very hard to believe such crimes can be commited by Humans.Criminals have just find that the judicial system is the best system to give them protection rather than punishing them.People who commit crimes are those are who know how to escape from the shackles better then supreme court judges.

The criminals are literally afraid of nothing.Even if they get capital punishment,they have the option of appealing in higher courts.So literally they are given all the options to escape.

On seeing the sufferings of the people who are found guilty,the other would atleast feel the intensity of sufferings after commiting crimes.This would make them atleast give a thought before a wrong-doing.

-Deepak.

ross18

MP Guru
Well guys i agree with what u are tryin to say but thn

The problem with the death penalty is that it has absolutely no deterrent value. In every society, where capital punishment has been abolished, there has either been no effect at all on the crime rate or — and this is the significant bit — there have actually been fewer murders after they stopped hanging people.

Consequently, nearly every developed country has abolished capital punishment. They regard it as a barbaric hangover from a medieval era where punishment was about revenge and bloodlust. And none of them has suffered as a result of the abolition.

As convincing as all this is, I have become an agnostic on the subject of the death penalty in India: I am no longer as passionate about demanding its abolition.

There are two reasons for this.

The first is that the death penalty is handed out every day on the streets of India by policemen and military troops in the form of the so-called encounter. Given that there is widespread public support for such encounters, and that they seem set to continue, does it make any sense to get so self-righteous about a few hangings?

As weak as the case for capital punishment may be, a hanging is, at least, the result of due process where a judge looks at the evidence and a defendant is given a right to present his case. On the other hand, encounters follow no process, there is no sense of justice and innocent people are frequently bumped off. Moreover, the numbers tell their own story. More people are killed by policemen on the streets of India in an average week than are hanged after due process in a decade. So, if you really want to get agitated about the right to life, then don’t recycle a largely irrelevant Western debate about hanging; focus on encounters instead.

There is a second reason why I am less passionate about opposing hanging. After the hijack of plane IC-814, I am now convinced that the longer we keep terrorists in jail, the greater is the incentive for their compatriots to hijack planes or to seize hostages to secure their release. In this case, the death penalty is a deterrent. It is the jail sentence that will encourage more terrorists.

Nevertheless, I do not pretend that my arguments can undermine the intellectual basis of the case against capital punishment. And those who support hanging in India usually fall back on two rather tiresome and well-worn strategies. Either they make the case for revenge (“Shouldn’t we avenge the guard who was murdered by this terrorist?” etc) or they play to cheap sentiment (“What will we tell the father of this murdered girl who has spent his life fighting for justice?”). Both arguments may have emotional power, but they have zero intellectual merit.

now what your take on it ?

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
From the above I gather that you are supporting the act of capital punishment in India for reasons of terrorism and police encounters.

I feel that police encounters are over rated. The police does NOT have the liscence to kill. As you stated, that the public supports such encounters, so there should be a reason to it. Bluntly saying that there are soo many encounters then why not have capital punishment would not be a logical statement.

I support my views by saying that a case which is put for capital punishment undergoes rigorous scrutinity and the procedure goes on for years and decades. Finally when a judgement is passed, the affected party makes appeals to the prime minister and the prez and there is lot of political backing which further delays the case.

In a counter where cases of the past decade are still pending, this will only prove as a burden to the judicial system.

Another point in perspective is that as my friend deepak points out, people who are convicted of such crimes have the power and the backing to get out of it.

Encounter is one way of giving justice to the society when the police has all the evidence, the junta is aware of the crime, but due to legal loopholes there are chances for the criminal to escape unharmed and can be set free to unleash his wrath once again.

I am in noway supporting encounters, just pointing out the difference between your arguement of the police having the liscence to kill. If there was no public support, the police wouldnt be able to escape with killings of any innocent victim.

Encounter is a quick way to eliminate anti social elements who are in the capacity to escape because of legal loopholes.

melroy88

Well i guess only god has the rights to make a Life and take a life.Are we so dam innocent that we have the right to judge others.Mabey Life imprisonment should be the max...But taking a life for another life makes us criminals.No1 owns a persons Soul.

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Mabey Life imprisonment should be the max

In a realistic sense life imprisonment would be a way harsh a punishment than death.

Imagine living in a world where you cannot do anything on ur own will and have to spend the rest of your life behind 4 walls. Pathetic condition .

melroy88

In a realistic sense life imprisonment would be a way harsh a punishment than death.

Imagine living in a world where you cannot do anything on ur own will and have to spend the rest of your life behind 4 walls. Pathetic condition

Well then do u agree that we do not own some1s life to decide that he should be given death.We are not Gods of our own age and well if we can judge one an other can one can jus kill the person who screws up with her or her.So imagine if you ditch your gf or your gf ditches ya hmmm mind as well give her a death penalty.What say? Im not convinced that a judge in a funny outfit can judge people.There are many cases where innocents have lost thankx to stupid laywers.You never know who could be corrupt in todays world.Image is one thing but what is a person is within is another.
So death penalty....naaaaaaaa

Bring it onnnnnnnn woooooooo hooooooooooo

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hi Fathima,
Think about a scenario where a person has lost all his Govt. Identity proofs,savings and moreover cannot be employed by even a single pawn shop in the whole country.He/She is left with no option but to beg in the streets.

Do you need a miserable life than this?

-Deepak.

arbit

in cases where the criminal is posing the threat to many other ppl like for example terrorists, the Death Penalty is a must.

nightsilentor

I feel that capital punishment should be given to rarest of rare crimes. I believe that if this is not done . Then the people who commit a crime will feel that maximum he can be imprisoned and nothing more can happen to him. I feel that there should be an element of fear among the people that would prevent them to commit crimes.

But it should be given in rarest of rare cases only.

kyle82

in the eyes of God it is still wrong.. but for the justice of men.. of course as the law provides it by state, it is right. probably life sentence as i talk about the moral sense, is appearing to be the perfect justice for the mankind.

seabeach

well death penalty is right but only in few cases.
if the crime done is so serious and the person has really a bad record regarding his/her habits,character, and actions...
also there's an indication that person is a social threat and there is chances that he/she will never stop committing crime then its good.

but there is one thing we have our life for some purpose so it may happen that after life sentence, a person may use his/her life for social benefits...

so9 it should be for extreme cases which would be decided on humanity norms

arauf

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Believe me Islamic laws are great if being used. Please read this completely. The Article may answer the question.

Capital Punishment in Islam
By Huda, About.com

"...If anyone kills a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he killed all people. And if anyone saves a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all people" (Qur'an 5:32).
Life is sacred, according to Islam and most other world faiths. But how can one hold life sacred, yet still support capital punishment? The Qur'an answers, "...Take not life, which God has made sacred, except by way of justice and law. Thus does He command you, so that you may learn wisdom" (6:151).

The key point is that one may take life only "by way of justice and law." In Islam, therefore, the death penalty can be applied by a court as punishment for the most serious of crimes. Ultimately, one's eternal punishment is in God's hands, but there is a place for punishment in this life as well. The spirit of the Islamic penal code is to save lives, promote justice, and prevent corruption and tyranny.

Islamic philosophy holds that a harsh punishment serves as a deterrent to serious crimes that harm individual victims, or threaten to destabilize the foundation of society. According to Islamic law (in the first verse quoted above), the following two crimes can be punishable by death:

•Intentional murder
•Fasad fil-ardh ("spreading mischief in the land")

Intentional Murder
The Qur'an legislates the death penalty for murder, although forgiveness and compassion are strongly encouraged. The murder victim's family is given a choice to either insist on the death penalty, or to pardon the perpetrator and accept monetary compensation for their loss (2:178).
Fasaad fi al-ardh
The second crime for which capital punishment can be applied is a bit more open to interpretation. "Spreading mischief in the land" can mean many different things, but is generally interpreted to mean those crimes that affect the community as a whole, and destabilize the society. Crimes that have fallen under this description have included:

•Treason / Apostacy (when one leaves the faith and joins the enemy in fighting against the Muslim community)
•Terrorism
•Land, sea, or air piracy
•Rape
•Adultery
•Homosexual behavior
Actual methods of capital punishment vary from place to place. In some Muslim countries, methods have included beheading, hanging, stoning, and firing squad. Executions are held publicly, to serve as warnings to would-be criminals.
It is important to note that there is no place for vigilantism in Islam -- one must be properly convicted in an Islamic court of law before the punishment can be meted out. The severity of the punishment requires that very strict evidence standards must be met before a conviction is found. The court also has flexibility to order less than the ultimate punishment (for example, imposing fines or prison sentences), on a case-by-case basis.

vicky_600

MP Guru
death penalty shhould be made mandatory as it is the only solution to make the society worth living...it does instill fear in the minds of the culprits and hencce ann appropriate way to curb down CRIME RATE.....
In UAE, crime and criminals are almost non existenet because of the fear of Death penalty...In a state like BIHAR, where people ddo committ crime and that too aalmost fearlessly, death peenalty could help in making that state a place worth livving.also tourists attraction is almost nil as tourists consider that place to be not so friendly and wothwhile

vicky_600

MP Guru
death penalty shhould be made mandatory as it is the only solution to make the society worth living...it does instill fear in the minds of the culprits and hencce ann appropriate way to curb down CRIME RATE.....
In UAE, crime and criminals are almost non existenet because of the fear of Death penalty...In a state like BIHAR, where people ddo committ crime and that too aalmost fearlessly, death peenalty could help in making that state a place worth livving.also tourists attraction is almost nil as tourists consider that place to be not so friendly and wothwhile