What kind of a work experience?

VivekSrinivasan

Hey,
Am a new member of this forum and would like u guys to sort out my doubt.
I have graduated recently (2012) from mechanical engineering. However, I have an offer letter only from Infosys ( IT company ). Am Planning to pursue my mba from some reputed B School after a few years of work experience. I would like to know if I would stand at a disadvantage if my work experience is from some IT company instead of a core engineering firm? Also, few of my friends say, BE. Mechanical + core company + MBA has a better value than a work experience in IT company.
Is it true that only mechanical engineers with an MBA are hired in operations side of a firm?
Hope you people bring some light to my ignorance.

farhanak.manage

Depends on what your end goal is. People take up an mba from a reputed institute to jump levels and change industry. Many engineers do an mba to pursue a career shift after a short work ex in companies like infy , reliance etc.

The pay packages will be higher post mba if your previous experience and your current specialization are same. You will get a lateral placement in same function for management roles.

Hope that helps.

bbageek

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
From my common sense, I think that the work experience from a related (core) firm would be more advantageous than having the same from a less related or unrelated firm. Since your educational qualifications are evaluated side by side with your work experience, it is obvious that it would be better if both of these are co-related with each other.

However, there might be other things for you to consider such as how easily are the jobs available in the related firms, are such jobs viable (near from your place), are they of higher rank (for example middle management instead of first-line management) and so on. In the end, listen to what your heart says!

prat40

I think if you have work-experience related to your educational background then that can be helpful. But if you want to make carrier in other field rather mechanical engineering you can go accordingly.