Are Managers born or made

saquib

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
well, i agree that u need some qualities to be a successful manager, but i feel that once you know wat qualities are required, u can develop these qualities even if the arent inherent.
Had this not been the case, why wud so many B-Schools come up?
Why wud we have so many good managers passing out from these schools.

roshcrazy

MP Guru
managers are born to be made :D...
well i believe they are made....coz leaders and mangers are never born but are made by facing rigorous challenges and continous improvement !!

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
for me, managers are made but leaders are born... so to be a successful manager( nt the usual types) u need to have that inherent quality of leadership in you...
management is a field like arts...u can learn drawings by practice but to be picaso u also need some inherent qualities!!!!!
i hope i haven't confused u much!!!
take care
anu

ankit_chan

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Leaders and Managers both are born and not made.. Circumstances just enhances their performance.. They develop and shape their skills but the basic is their birth..

Right from birth, I am considered as the good manager and my brother as a good leader..
Its because others think that we have those skills.. I & my brother, both have choosen BMS just to enhance our skills.. We are doing MBA after BMS just to develop our skills more perfectly..

Back to the topic.. A person is a good leader or a manager or both or none, can be concluded by his activities done during the school days.. Since his childhood, what had they did??

If you don't have the basic quality of manager or leader right from birth, you can never be the good manager or leader..

B - Schools are there to enhance your potential powers.. They can't insert the quality of manager or leader in you.. They just shape your potential qualities.. BTW, managers and leaders are said to be good by their activities and not by their B-Schools.. A person from IIMA can't say that he is a good manager unless he proves it..

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
ankit...i beg to differ frm watever u have said... leaders are born(both of us agree!!) but dear managers can be made...i mean who told you to manage ur things, as small as ur bookshelf.....a pile of books is also a option but u learn how you can put them in different sections so that you can use them more often without any problem..that u can learn, isn't it? another basic example: ur mother! she knows how to manage whole house, every things, this she has learnt in her formative years... so she has been made into a good manager!!! as per leader many people died fr freedom but nt all of them became mahatma gandhi!!! thats leadership... it requires an aura , also some close followers which is one of the qualities many people are born with!!!
take care
anu

neha_26nutty

Managers are made they are groomed conditioned and trained to not only manage people and get work done from people but also getting quality work done. every person is born with every quality be it managerial or anything else it is just how we develop it and how we make personality so its all about making

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
All are born as child.Nobody can say if the child is a leader or manager :).

All managers are made by acquiring proper skills and overcoming challenges in life.

-Deepak.

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
@ neha: dear we often confuse that manager's job is to get quality work done from others...i think a managers job is more of a facilitator, they dn't make people work, they help people with their work!! the difference between two is while the 1st phrase is more of authoratative & is generally not acceptable in today's corporate world, today company being more employee & customer sensitive look forwad to 2nd phrase as a managerial task!!!

@ deepak: its very true that all of us are born as a child only...but even they do differ, for eg : have you seen manychildren being hyperactive & others so quiet!!!so inevitably we are born with certain traits( characters) that help in determining our future course...( that doesn't mean that they can't be learnt) so again repeating my words...managers can be made but leaders do need some aura/ say traits that few people are born with!!!

take care
anu

saquib

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
well i think managers are neither born nor made......those who develop managerial qualities in the long run become managers!!!!
so the question of born or made does not arise at all!!!!
if u r motivated & if u have it in u to becum a manager than no one can stop u!!!
WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS A WAY!!!!

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
if am nt mistaken by made , we mean only " the qualities that can be /acquired/developed / sharpened with practice/efforts"
do lemme knw if am wrong!!!
thanks
take care
anu

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
gist of the topic:
all leaders are good managers...but not all managers are necessarily good leaders!!!!!

murtuza hussain

There are few things one should know ////// Managers have to manage and leaders have to lead >>>>>> if managers are born not made than there would be no COMPETATION among the jobs, status & pride... Every day manager has to learn new things from unrealistic world only EXPREANCEs can play a role....... No one can manage without learning and expreances...

mango

:SugarwareZ-158:

Hey all,
I appreciate being able to join the discussion.
The title & question is: Are Managers born or made?
However some people have taken it upon themselves to distill one of the presumed characteristics of the manager, leading, and argue whether people are born with this ability or not.

I don't believe we understand fully the most marvellous machine in the world enough to be able to say with complete certainty either way. What machine? Our brain.

What can be said is that we are all born with different characters, different temperaments bearing unique responses to the experiences we encounter. This is primary reason all of us responded differently to this question, even though we all had the potential understanding and use of language, to respond as any of the other people who replied differently.
What is true is that some of the traits most desired in a manager (because they seem to lead to managers who excel) or the traits we recognise in people who are able to lead for whatever reason, align more with some characters than with others.
This does not mean that if your character 'naturally' lacks any of those such traits that you cannot take a conscious position and alter your habits. It just means that you will be working against what comes most comfortably to you.

So in short I guess you could argue that SOME managers and leaders are born and all the others choose to learn and become the best version of themselves possible and it is an open race as to who will excel in their own personal race.

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hi there
i totally agree with you but the fact is
whenevr we argue about whether managers are born or made,we assume a bold, hardworking, leader type personality , one which takes company out of every crisis and has a smart brain to do every job efficiently...although rest of the qualities can be learned but the main trait...which makes a manager stand apart from the crowd is the leadership quality...tahts y we were arguiong abt that!!!
tell me if am wrong!!!