25 Best Global Companies: Part 2

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
AMERICAN EXPRESS

Headquarters: New York, NY, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 27,800
What makes it so great?

"I think [what] is unique is how many people really do take pride in working here. American Express gives employees a lot of responsibility, and trusts each one," says an American Express associate. That may sound like a run-of-the-mill response, but the high degree of transparency at the company is lauded by many employees.

American Express India shares details of salary ranges and their histories. The company holds Know Your Compensation (KYC) sessions, where employees learn where their compensation is compared to their colleagues. Additionally, AmEx offers the RewardBlue program, which allows employees to reward their colleagues with "eCards," "eButtons," and "airThanks" that can contain quirky, personalized messages.

The company also boasts a healthy male to female ratio at the executive/senior management level: 47%u0025 of the positions are filled by women.

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
MEDTRONIC

Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 15,800
What makes it so great?

At Medtronic Canada, president Neil Fraser writes his employees a personal message during the holiday season, acknowledging individual accomplishments and letting the staff know that he appreciates each and every one of their contributions.

The medical technology company's Ireland division also has a take on inspiring innovation -- one that could rival Google's 20%u0025 time. The "myIdeas system" allows employees, no matter their function, to propose ideas, suggestions, and options, which are then evaluated by a cross-functional team for feasibility. More than 1500 ideas have been submitted since the program's founding -- and 40% of them have been implemented.

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
INTEL

Headquarters: Santa Clara, CA, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 43,600
What makes it so great?

"Management listens to employees and is very open and approachable," says an Intel employee. And, looking at the company's "Skip-Level 1:1s" initiative, it seems he's right. Senior managers meet with employees one or more levels down, learning about the middle and front-line managers' performances.

In India, the company has the "Sparsh" program. ("Sparsh" is the Sanskrit word for "touch.") Run by employees, the program's teams design and throw all Sparsh events, which focus on a stress-free workplace and the work/life balance. "People care about each other [here]," the employee says.

Sean Maloney, a senior Intel executive, suffered from a stroke two years ago. He received extensive support from his colleagues. Not only has he recovered, but he's back in the running to one day become CEO of the company.

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
HILTI

Headquarters: Tulsa, OK, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 4,398
What makes it so great?

The manufacturer of products for the construction industry encourages its employees to volunteer -- and does so by example. Last year, the Canadian branch sponsored the building of a Habitat for Humanity home in Mississaugua, Ontario. The project cost about $6,000 and took 120 hours of labor.

On top of their good deeds, Hilti makes getting to the top a realistic goal. "Hilti `walks the talk' in terms of opportunity for internal advancement," says an employee. "The current CEO of Hilti North America started in a junior sales capacity." The company invests about $11.7 million and more than 32,000 working days per year in corporate culture workshops, furthering the possibility of an internal rising star to one day make it big.

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
3M

Headquarters: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 26,662
What makes it so great?

"There is a [constant] sense of positivity and fairness," at 3M, says an employee. And it seems there's also a focus on healthy habits: Managers bring in fruit every week, and the company sponsors an employee "pedometer challenge" -- 10,000 steps per day -- to raise money for charity.

In Austria, the company keeps creativity alive with an Innovation Competition for employees, which boasts %u20AC500 cash awards and trips to the United States, London, and Berlin. "3M is the most ethical and transparent company that I've ever worked for," says the employee.

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
TELEFONICA

Headquarters: Madrid, Spain
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 82,979
What makes it so great?

Who says video games aren't educational? At Telefonica Mexico, employees go through a three-hour interactive workshop -- "Living the Experience" -- to learn and practice the company behaviors and values. They play learning games and watch videos of the values in action, receiving a letter from the CEO and a trophy in front of the Board of Directors at the end of the process.

In hopes of increasing the company's social outreach, Telefonica Europe created a Volunteering Office in Germany. Teams and staff members are guided toward projects that fit their cause, allowing them to better give back to the community. That commitment to helping employees excel outside of their job description is what employees say is the norm at the company. Telefonica also offers job-sharing and on-site child care for parent-employees.

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS

Headquarters: Austin, TX, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 873
What makes it so great?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or at least that's what the folks at National Instruments seem to believe. Their "100-year plan" balances short-term business goals with the company's core values.

Employee Appreciation Week, service award luncheons, and milestone celebrations further the company's mission. "National Instruments is the most unique company I have ever seen," claims an employee. "[Its] culture exudes openness, honesty, and fairness. People work extremely hard here, [but] the company also promotes being able to relax and enjoy your life outside of work, to keep a healthy balance."

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
MARS

Headquarters: McLean, VA, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 30,000
What makes it so great?

Known by the masses for its color-coated chocolates, Mars employees know it more for its special culture. "It is a very warm, welcoming culture where good work is recognized and rewarded," says one. CEO Paul Michaels doesn't have a private office or a reserved parking space; most office spaces have open plans, breaking down physical and psychological barriers by making everyone approachable.

Globally, the company has run an associate engagement program since 2003. Some of these communication initiatives include Q&A sessions, suggestion boxes in the offices, or "site involvement teams," which allow associate representatives of various divisions to make recommendations to management.

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
ACCENTURE

Headquarters: New York, NY, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 21,600
What makes it so great?

Accenture employees are "encouraged to make things happen and are given the tools to accomplish anything we set our minds to do," says an employee. Programs like "Vaahini" and "People Developer" at Accenture India support that statement. Vaahini is a women's networking group that supports mentoring, communication, and counseling events. People Developer allows promoted employees to name colleagues who helped them along the way -- these individuals receive personal thank-you emails from company leaders. In Norway, Accenture hosts an "Innovation Fair" once a year for a crowd of over 1500 composed of employees, former employees, customers, and partners.

drnaga

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
ROCHE

Headquarters: Indianapolis, IN, USA
2010 Revenue ($ millions): 52,901
What makes it so great?

Feeling overwhelmed at work? If you're an employee of Roche Denmark, you have access to healthy food and snacks, fitness facilities, massages, nutritionists, and alternative treatments for stress. The healthcare company also provides access to oncology nurses for those at its Peru facilities with breast cancer. Last year, 19,500 employees participated in the company's annual Children's Walk, which helps raise money for young ones with HIV/AIDS and in vulnerable living conditions.

albert001

This is not a matter to search in browser and view which is the best company. You can realize the best company through the clients feedback about the company. Not only the Big MNC's even a start up company and small corporate can also give their best solution to the clients