Risk managements

abhisurana

PLZ HELP ON MY PROJECT REGARDING FOREX MGMT IN SBI .I AM NOT GETTING ANY DATA FROM BANK SO PLEASE SHOW ME WAY TO TACKLE THIS?

ankitgokani

MP Guru

bojandk

PROJECT WORK

1. INTRODUCTION

As a student of Master of Business Administration (MBA) you are required to undertake a major individual piece of research work - the Project or Dissertation. In contrast to the other elements of your programme, where you are guided fairly closely, the aim of the Project is to give you the opportunity to learn independently and show that you can identify, define and analyse problems and issues and integrate knowledge in a business context. It is an important part of the programme that tests your ability to understand and apply the theory, the concepts and the tools of analysis to a specific problem situation. This project handbook has been compiled to clarify the framework of the project and suggest some ways of assuring success.

The only precise rule on what constitutes an acceptable project is that it should be an ordered critical exposition, which affords evidence of reasoning power and knowledge of the relevant literature in an approved field falling within the subject matter of the programme - Management. The emphasis should be on applied research and the investigation of some practical problem or issue related to the situation in which an organisation or system operates.

Please note that the project must not be treated as just another assignment. The Project provides the opportunity to judge the student’s time and self-management skills and his/her ability to successfully undertake a long and in-depth study. Hence it is not only the product that is important, but also the process itself. Students must therefore ensure that they maintain regular contact with their supervisor and also that they provide the supervisor with drafts of their work at regular intervals. Finally, to keep yourself up-to-date and under control as regards your project, it is imperative that you meet your supervisor regularly.

2. DEFINITIONS AND OVERIEW OF PROJECT

The project is a practical, in-depth study of a problem, issue, opportunity, technique or procedure – or some combination of these aspects of business. Typically, you will be required to define an area of investigation, carve out research design, assemble relevant data, analyse the data, draw conclusions and make recommendations. Your project should demonstrate organisational, analytical and evaluative skills, and, where appropriate, an ability to design a suitable implementation and review procedure.

The project is the longest (24,000 words) and most original piece of work you will undertake in your post-graduate study. It will occupy, with varying degrees of commitment, a period of two semesters.

3. GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PROJECT

The purpose of the project is to give students the opportunity to carry out an in-depth study of an applied nature, synthesizing various elements, yet pursing one area of interest in depth. Your project report should make clear what you have attempted and why you have attempted it; the methods that you have used to collect, collate and analyze the information obtained; and how you have evaluated it. Any recommendations made should be supported by the evidence presented and by logical argument using deductive and inductive reasoning. For a Project to be of a high quality it is imperative to avoid detailed description devoid of analytical content. The assessment criteria for the Project are shown in the Project Grading Sheet attached as Appendix B to this Handbook. You should ensure through the entire period that you work on your project that it meets these requirements.

4. CHOOSING A TOPIC

Choosing your topic is probably the hardest thing you will do. The choice of topic is up to you, with guidance from your supervisor, but, he/ she is not there to make the decision for you. To a large extent, your ideas will be influenced by your situation. If you are in employment you may be able to research into a real life problem or, if you are not employed, you may choose a more general business issue. In either case, initial ideas are likely to originate in a vague form and may lack a clear focus. These then need to be developed into something manageable and practical by consideration of available literature/ texts and discussion with your project supervisors once allocated.

4.1. Most Project ideas come from:
• Personal experience of employment: this is an obvious starting point for the project because in every organisation there would be some issue that can be researched into. An example of a project originating from this way could be an evaluation of the Training Department of your organisation or an evaluation of the performance appraisal systems used for salesmen in your organisation.

• Observation of events: Personal observation of events in the organisation/ environment can serve as a starting point for a project idea. An example of this could be that as an employee you observe that the employee turnover in your organisation is very high and as your project you could research into the reasons for this and make suitable recommendations.

• Issues of current interest: Reviewing key issues of broader relevance may be another useful indicator for a project idea. Specific consideration of the aspects of the effect of a government policy or a phenomenon on the performance of an organisation/segment/system may provide suitable ideas for a Project. You need to take care when dealing with issues such as these. It may be necessary to confine yourself to an aspect of the issue or you could find yourself tackling something that is too big to handle effectively and gives you a very wide project area, which inevitably lacks depth of analysis.

Whatever the source of your project idea, familiarity with the area is imperative for the successful completion of the project.

5. SCOPE OF THE PROJECT

An acceptable project will normally fall into one of the following categories:

• Exploratory- a study that involves carrying out original research in order to meet the organization’s continual need for new information for forward decision-making. The main issues may be human, economical, functional etc, but the construction and/or application of some kind of research instrument are the focus of the study. The analysis of the research findings (e.g. client’s responses to questionnaire about changing product specifications) should take place, resulting in proposals about how to manage relevant aspects of the organisation’s future.

• Explanatory- a study, which would involve studying relationships between different variables like a cause & effect relationship study.

• Descriptive- a study that would need an in-depth portrayal of an accurate profile of events or situations from the business environment.

6. ORGANISATION OF PROJECT REPORT

This section presents some of the norms associated with a project. It is strongly recommended that you follow these guidelines. The final report should be presented in the following sequence:

 Title page
 Student’s Declaration (Annexure-I)
 Supervisor’s Certificate (Annexure-II)

 Abstract

 Acknowledgements

 Table of Contents:

 List of Tables

 List of figures

 List of Appendices

 Chapter 1. Introduction: This chapter includes the research problem, need for study/significance of the project, objectives, hypotheses, methodology – scope, sample design, sources of information, tools and techniques of analysis, structure of the study with sound justifications/explanations.

 Chapter 2. Literature Review: This chapter should reflect the student’s understanding of the relevant theoretical and empirical background of the problem. Focus should be more on the logical presentation of the empirical evolution of conceptual and methodological issues pertaining to research problem. Also highlight the methodological clues drawn through this review for your project.

 Chapter 3. The company/Organisation/System: This chapter should contain a brief historical retrospect about the entity of your study.

 Chapter 4 & 5: Present your data analysis and inferences

 Chapter 6. Summary and Conclusions: Gives an overview of the project, conclusions, implications and recommendations. Also specify the limitations of your study. You may indicate the scope for further research.

 Bibliography: List the books, articles, websites that are referred and useful for research on the topic of your specific project. Follow Harvard style of referencing.

 Appendices

Your documents should be appropriately numbered. It is usual for Page 1 to start with the Introduction. The sections prior to the Introduction are usually numbered with small Romans, i.e. i, ii, iii. It is easier if appendices are numbered in a separate sequence (suggest A, B, C) rather than as a continuation of the main report.

While presentation follows this sequence, it may be actually written in a very different order. For example, the introduction is often the last major section to be completed.

6.1. Title Page (example)

Keep it very simple. Do not describe the contents. Have a working title and then decide a final title when you have finished the Project. This is the standard format of the Title Page that every student is expected to use.

6.2. Abstract

This is a summary of about 300 words (not more than one side of double-spaced A4) that describes the topic; explains the aims and methods of the study and gives a brief resume of the main conclusions and recommendations.

6.3. Acknowledgements

Here you have the opportunity to thank the various people who have helped in the development of the project. It might include specific individuals who have given information, offered insights, or generally been supportive. Gratitude may be expressed to groups of people, like those who were studied, or fellow students. Try not to be too flippant or too “soppy”!

6.4. Table of Contents

The contents page gives the reader the first view of how the project is structured and how the author attempted to develop the topic. It lists sequentially the sections and major sub-divisions of the sections; each identified by a heading and located by a page number. The following box gives an example.

Your precise structure will have to be tailored to the needs of your own projects. If in doubt, discuss with your project supervisor at an early stage.

6.5. List of Tables and Figures

Throughout the project, it is likely that you will want to present material in tabulated or diagrammatic form. Some such presentations will bear only indirectly or partially on your arguments, and in such cases you will need to decide about their proper location. Additional or less relevant information may be better placed in an appendix.

Whether you decide to locate your tables/figures in the main body of the report or the appendices, it is conventional to provide special “contents pages” so that readers can easily find the information. Tables and figures should be listed on a separate page as shown below.

Examples of List of Tables

santy

Very Useful Post......Actually you have collected all and post it here with all respective links to those posts

Lamahy101

my teacher gave me the research project ....and i m unable to find any research articles on Finance topic ..plz guide me which topic should i choose...my work is to find more than 10 research articles on any Finance related topic and from these 10 articles make a single article...so plz suggest me some topic and if possible also give articles

Gada

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hey nice share..can any 1 help me with liquidity risk management . i have got the the matter from the bank perspective and financial institution but i am finding it difficult on Corporate Side / Company perspective

divineheart

hi ppl i actually need help in this question

Q- distinguish among various short term and long term financing, the risk associated with each and explain the steps in risk management process?

I would be gr8ful if any one would help me . cuz iam new to this site

Thank u