I asked my Professors - What are the Hot Topics in Marketing?

Thought I wanted to share this. For the past two weeks I have tried to informally get the view of my professors (at an Australian IVY league business school) on what would be worthwhile doing a major research project on.

These were the three topics they recommended:

1. Josiassen's Matrix: Josiassen's Matrix consists of the four personalities that affect the success of exporting firms. These four are Consumer Ethnocentrism, Consumer Disidentification, Consumer Affinity, and Consumer Animosity.

As an example, Consumer Animosity is when consumers do not want to buy products from a particular other country. Chinese do not want to buy products from Japan for example!

The key article is "Consumer Disidentification and Its Effects on Domestic Product Purchases" by Josiassen in Journal of Marketing, 2011.

2. Service-Dominant Logic: SD-logic is a totally different way of looking at marketing! "Old" marketing theory says that the product is the centre, and when discussing services in the books.. it is seen through the glasses of the old product-focused lenses. The new paradigm looks at marketing and marketing theory through the lenses of services.. and everything is now a service... even chewing gum! :)

The key article is "Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing" by Vargo and Lusch in Journal of Marketing, 2004.

3. Social Networks: This is another new but important topic in marketing. Apparently there is really no one important article or book on this yet, but with SxyPhil and many others getting more views per Youtube episode than many CBS and NBC stars, a lot of projects can be done on this topic.

Good luck!