Why mba abroad?

navin_c

MP Guru

Some of the main reasons why people decide to do an MBA abroad are:

* They want to work in a particular country -- employers are keener on MBA graduates who have studied in the country where they operate.
* They want a brand name that is recognised globally on their CV.
* International MBA classes tend to have a more diverse population in terms of nationalities, backgrounds (educational and professional), genders, etc, which enhances the quality of the environment and the learning.
* International B-schools tend to have a more global coverage of topics in their syllabi.
* International B-schools are more likely to have access to a wider base of resources such as alumni network, faculty, guest speakers, libraries, employers, etc.
* Some schools offer shorter duration formats such as a 10-month/ 16-month MBA, allowing candidates to return to work quicker

Almost all the reasons applied in my case. To future MBAs , I recommend that you come up with reasons that resonate most with your aspirations and the kind of experience you are looking for. If this will be your second MBA, then it will be imperative to articulate the thinking since you will most likely be asked this question in your interview.

It is all right to continue to fine-tune this reasoning during the process of MBA prep, but ensure that there is a consistent thread in your story. I cannot emphasise enough how critical your belief in this story will be and how many times this belief will be questioned during and after the process.

It has been almost four years since I graduated from Oxford, a proud member of a leading UK B-school's alumni community that is spread across the globe. In my role as a management consultant at a global strategy consulting firm soon after the MBA, as well as in my next assignment (the current one) as an internal strategy consultant at a conglomerate, I have found more and more elements of that initial thought process come alive. Hmmm, it appears that I chose the right track!

this helpful info was brought to us by rediff.com

kate88

Hello

Thanks for your nice suggestion.MBA is the most prestigious quality in the world.
Today's every people want to do MBA from abroad because there's education,schools,best employers are available and many facilities in there.In future,MBA is better for us.:SugarwareZ-180:

Questions, answers, and then more questions! The whole affair with the foreign MBA seemed to involve more and more decisions as one went along. As soon as I'd figured out why I wanted to do an MBA, I had to decide where to do it from. No sooner had I got that nailed than I had to decide which business school to apply to. And the more time I spent in answering that question, the larger the number of variables got, making my task tougher with each additional one!

I brought my work experience as a consultant into play -- I structured the process as best as I could. I first focussed on the critical factors in the decision. Then I laid out the constraints. Finally, after assigning weights to each variable, I did the qualitative additions and subtractions to arrive at a target list. Essentially, I believe I used a framework that I would like to call "the four Ps of b-school decision making". The four Ps (no connection to Jerome McCarthy's theory on marketing) are Programme, Prospects, Price and People.

With the increasing demand for management professionals by the best of International organizations many students are now opting for MBA abroad courses. Doing your management studies from a reputed institute abroad enhances your job prospects to large extent. An M.B.A. from a top-rung B-school abroad will certainly help you to be better qualified to compete in the global job market and subsequently climb the corporate ladder. There are several young MBA aspirants who have plans of settling abroad. For such individuals pursuing MBA Studies Abroad could be a good option. Many students are also opting for online MBA degrees offered by some of the best B-Schools abroad.

Questions, answers, and then more questions! The whole affair with the foreign MBA seemed to involve more and more decisions as one went along. As soon as I'd figured out why I wanted to do an MBA, I had to decide where to do it from. No sooner had I got that nailed than I had to decide which business school to apply to. And the more time I spent in answering that question, the larger the number of variables got, making my task tougher with each additional one!

MBA Abroad: Is it worth the money?
Even by the most conservative estimates, pursuing an MBA degree abroad would set you back by at least Rs. 10 lakhs, if you have to shell out the money on your own. This could go up to as much as Rs. 30 lakhs for the top U.S. B-schools. Financial aid is limited, and comes with strings attached. Given the exorbitant expenditure involved, is it really worth it?

The answer depends on a lot of factors, and ultimately, has to come from you. We can help you evaluate the scenario by laying out these factors before you. The factors have to be considered in conjunction with each other, rather than in isolation. Weigh them carefully, and decide to what extent each factor is applicable to you.

How much would it pinch you?

MONEY! This, of course, is the bottomline. Start with the assumption that you are not going to get any scholarship, as getting financial aid for an MBA program is really tough. Then look at the resources at your disposal (could be your own bank account, or your parents’, or any benefactor you may have)

If you have sufficient funds (Rs. 10-15 lakhs), our recommendation is: just go ahead. It’ll surely prove to be money well spent – the experience itself is great!

If you can spare some amount (Rs. 5-6 lakhs), you could still consider going, as you’ll be able to manage the first few semesters on your own. Once you’re there, you’ll have to find ways to raise some money (most Indian students manage this, at least the smart ones certainly do!)

If you are constrained on cash, but can manage a bank loan, it still makes sense to go ahead. However, you must be confident that you will do well in the program and manage to get a job. (Jobs are really hard to find in places like Australia and UK).

If you don’t belong to any of the above categories, how about trying for an Indian MBA?

barrybert

Banned
Thanks for your nice suggestion.MBA is the most prestigious quality in the world.
Today's every people want to do MBA from abroad because there's education,schools,best employers are available and many facilities in there.In future,MBA is better for us.

Resume Writing Services

ridhima.bh

there are a lot of reasons for doing MBA abroad firstly the exposure the diversified class, case studies method and more.

abdqds

I think its the same thing and its upto you what do you think mainly, if you think the MBA from abroad is the best choice then you would have to have some reasons for it.

for example, mostly people think that after getting and MBA degree from abroad I will be able to get a better salary and also the designation as well.

Besides this one can also think that I might stay there for longer period like after the completion of my degree will start the job there and after few years of exp. i will get back to my home country which is I think the most best choice of a young professional.

this what I think ..................

mikey110

thanks for choosing this topic.. now a days.. MBA is most demanding subject in the world... its a most common subject.. Peoples choose international MBA because its most valuable than the local MBA.. You get more information in international MBA.. you get experience when you are doing MBA from abroad university.. they learn you new courses.. that's why most of the peoples prefered international MBA..

Last edited by a moderator:

resumedocket

With the increasing demand for management professionals by the best of International organizations many students are now opting for MBA abroad courses. Doing your management studies from a reputed institute abroad enhances your job prospects to large extent.

Last edited by a moderator:

akhil15

Its not worth spending a fortune on doing MBA from abroad. I've seen many people who did their MBA's from UK & US and didn't get a job there and when they returned to India they were completely unaware of Indian Market.. So its better to compete with the brightest mind of your country to secure a seat in a premium B school than getting admission abroad by just spending a good amount of money..