MNEMONICS

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
fastidious - hard to please, critical; choosy; overly refined; painstaking, paying immense attention to minute details

A person sitting on a fast is very determined and it become very hard to please him. He would have thought of every possible minute detail of the deal and gone through it meticolously before going on a fast.. Hence it become very tedious to please such a fastidious person!

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
avocation - hobby, pastime, amusement
Vocation means career or skill. So something that is not done professionally or Anti-vocation is something that is done as a time-pass.. or for amusement.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
ignoble - having a base or mean character; not noble, of humble birth

This word can be remembered by taking it as ignorable noble.. Now u ignore someone when he is not what u expect or so to say, he is not actually noble.. Treat ig- as not or anti. So, someone who is anti noble or humble by birth.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
dogmatic - authoritative, opinionated, intolerant, rigid

This mght be an easy word for some, but i figured that there should be some mneumoic for it. Well break dogmatic as dog-mah-attic

Picturize that u have a dog and the dog does not want to go into the attic (cupboard). Bt u are a firm, athoritative, domineering person. U will not tolerate that the dog doesn't listen to u.. So u rigidly stuff the dog in the attic.. and that's dogmatic for u.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
sardonic - cynical, mocking, scornful, derisive

Try to relate this word to sar dard (in hindi). You get a headache when someone is criticizing u or is mocking at u. If it is bad or scathing for ur image, u can't take it lightly and u feel it is a head ache. Hence it is sardonic

p.s. u can also relate it with sardar... although i dun mean any offence to anyone... this corelation is just for learning purpose only!

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
wastrel - person who wastes; bum; waste; abandoned child, foundling
ok this is quite simple to remember and is derieved from waste. It can either be a useless person, or someone who wastes (food). Even an abondoned child (lawaris) is also called a waste (derogatorily)

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Abase has a "abe" (hindi) in it. Now, when i say abe to someone, it is not formal... it is used in a derogatory term (so to speak). Like if i say...
"Abe ao ..." - not very respecting. Hence it is derogatory or degrading!!

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
fecundity - productiveness, ability to bear young (in female animals); fertility, fruitfulness

ok, this one can be a a bit ascerbic, but i couldn't think of a better co-relation. If u do, please let me know and i will edit this post willing.
Check this word.. u get the hint of the word 'fcuk' :becky: when u read it. Also the word 'cund' (replace d with t :becky:) So it should be related to reproduction... or productivity or fruitfulness!! :becky:

p.s. Dont misunderstand anything... this is for learning purpose only!

Another way of remembering it....

Think a "feku", a person who lies a lot. A feku person has a fertile mind in which he produces all these lies. So there.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
tutelage - guardianship; instruction; state of being under guardianship or instruction

It can be remembered from the word tutor or a guide. A tutor is a person who would give u instructions. Since he/she is more knowledgeable, the person would guide u, be ur guardian

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
remissness - negligence, carelessness, unmindfulness

This is a ver easy word... and can be understood from the spelling itself... If u miss something and then miss it again and again, u are being careless and unmindful and hence the meaning

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
cornucopia - abundance, plenty ; horn shaped container filled with fruits and vegetables (symbol of plenty)

Break the word as corn-you-cope

Imagine u are eating corn or bhutta... and u are made to eat one after the other. This way, ur stomach would be full after some time and u would have had a number of corns by that time. So the amount of corns u can eat (or cope up with) would be quite in number or plenty.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
alacrity - eagerness; readiness

Think of the word alert... When u r alert u r all eager to grasp the changes around u. U are ready to accept the information.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
swerve - turn abruptly, suddenly change direction

ok, remember the word serve. Imagine that u r playing badminton and u got to serve.. Now u would be serving such that it goes farthest from the opponent. You would pretend to serve it in his direction, but at the last moment, u would change ur style in order to confuse him. So ur sudden change of direction is swerve.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
irresolute - indecisive, uncertain, vacillating, hesitating

Very simple word... break it down as irr-solute... i.e. no solute

solute is a part and hence related to solution.

So it means no solution.... when a person is indecisive or uncertain then he can't come up with a solution.

Another way would be irr-resolute.... Resolute comes from resolution, i.e. the decisions we make at the start of the new year.

Synonyms - > INDECISIVE, hesitant, vacillating, equivocating, dithering, wavering, shilly-shallying; ambivalent, blowing hot and cold, in two minds, in a dilemma, in a quandary, torn; doubtful, in doubt, unsure, uncertain, undecided; informal sitting on the fence

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
avow - declare; acknowledge; confess, ASSERT, declare, state, maintain, swear, vow, insist; rare asseverate; formal aver.

Think of a person who has vowed to take revenge. He vows by clenching his fists and then confesses... hence avow.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
gentry - people of good birth and breeding; aristocracy

Consider a nice gentleman, who is having lots of manners. He is of a goof bringing up and has lots of manners. Hence gentry refers to people who are noble.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
doggerel - poorly written poetry; amusing poetry

Think of someone who keeps on talking crap. U get frustrated and say that such people keep on barking like a dog. So break the word like dog+carol (a poem) ... So it becomes a poorly written poem.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
hubbub - uproar, disturbance, commotion

hub and bub are like hulla bulla or uproar or commotion
Synonyms - NOISE, din, racket, commotion, clamour, cacophony, babel, rumpus; CONFUSION, chaos, pandemonium, bedlam, mayhem, disorder, turmoil, tumult, fracas, hurly-burly

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
ebullient - enthusiastic, exuberant, effusive; bubbling up, overflowing

think of a charging bull.. how excited or enthsiastic it would be. Think of a share market (as bull is a stock market term) So that time market is high or charges.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Moribund - dying, expiring, near death; not thriving or advancing, stagnant

Imagine a senile old person who is near his death bed.. he is dying (mar) and uske liye sab darwaze band (close) ho rahe hain...