Need Help- Research Paper

UHYBRIDE

Hi Guys,
i am based in Canada, and even though continents differ, education does not. I have been asked by my professor in management studies to write a research paper in management competencies in the management of hotels with emphasis on the General Manager. I am completely clueless as to how to go about it . She wants us to have a presentation of the overview, i.e what our research paper will be about. This is what she had to say....
"The presentation should be an overview of your research paper. It
should cover what your topic is about, such as defining management
competencies for hotel general managers and why they are important to identify. Then the presentation should outline how you will research this topic and what your research paper's objective will be". Somehow i do not seem to understand how to proceed....my desi brothers and sisters please help me out......

ViJiT

Vijith Pujari
have a nice stay on the forums UHYBRIDE... we will try to sort out something...ok....

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Here is a vague idea :

Research Objective should be " Identifying the management
competencies for hotel general managers and its importance "

As for your project, I have a project on hotel service sector which might have something that will help you. Will give you the link soon.

Till then, I am positive that others will be replying to you soon... rite guyz ;)

Best of luck with the project .. and do post all your projects buddy.. we expect that you not only get help but help others also by contributing your projects to the forum .

ViJiT

Vijith Pujari
Project Description
A Competencies Model for General Managers of Branded Pub-Restaurant Chains

Project Abstract
1.0 INTRODUCTION

Pub-restaurants are defined by Keynote (2004) as anywhere with a ‘dedicated unit (i.e room) in a pub offering eat-in-dining facilities’. Those venues offering bar snacks and light refreshments are exempt from this definition. Branding of outlets, such as those in the pub-restaurant market, have grown extensively since the mid 1970’s, and in 2002, the branded pub-restaurant market had grown to hold a 8.9% share of the total restaurant market. Annual sales within the pub-restaurant market have shown progressive growth between 1998 and 2003, although growth between 2001-2003 slowed due to an increase in competition (Key Note, 2004). Key players within the branded pub-restaurant market include Whitbread PLC with their Brewers Fayre, Brewsters and Beefeater brands, the Spirit Group with brands such as Chef and Brewer, Tom Cobleigh, Big Steak Pub, Two for One, Country Carvery, Homespreads and Old Orleans, Mitchells and Butlers which have Vintage Inns, Harvester and Toby Carvery within their brand portfolio, and Greene King, which own the Hungry Horse outlets (Pub Industry Handbook, 2003).

A General Manager may not be directly involved in all operations of the business, but they still maintain responsibility for all of its activities (Stoner and Freeman, 1992). The skills, abilitites, knowledge, attitudes and conduct required for an individual to be a succesful general manager (see appendix 1), are referred to collectively as comptencies (Brophy and Kiely, 2002; Emiliani, 2003). The competencies of importance to managers can be collated and incorporated into a competency model that highlights the behavioural (or personal) and functional (or technical) characteristics required to be a succesful manager in the pub-restaurant trade. Behavioural competencies are concerned solely with the attitudes and conduct of the individual, whereas technical competencies refer to the knowledge, skills and abilities of the individual (Bucks Consultants,1998).

There are existing studies on competencies of importance to succesful general managers in various industries, including that of hospitality, such as those by Christou and Eaton (1997), Kay and Rusette (2000), Ladkin (1999), etc., but these generally focus on hotel management. There are minimal, if any, available competence studies for general managers of branded pub-restaurants in the UK.

The identification of competencies that are of importance to succesful branded pub-restaurant general managers, and the consequent formulation of a competency model, will benefit employers within the industry, prospective pub-restaurant managers, and educational bodies. Employers within the industry will benefit because it will enable them to adapt their recruitment processes to employ more suitable general managers, and also enable them to design better training programmes that will develop the core competences necessary for effectiveness in the job. Prospective pub-restaurant managers will benefit from a competency model, because they will gain greater understanding of what will be required of them, which will allow them to establish objectives and strategies for achieving these targets. Educational bodies will benefit from a competency model for branded pub-restaurant managers because it will aid the development of their curriculum, with courses that better prepare pub-restaurant managers for their profession.

UHYBRIDE

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it especially Kartik and vjaquarian. This paper has to be 10-15 pages long yaar. I wonder what the prof's do with it. In N.America a lot of prof's get students to write papers which they use for their own research.Anyway as soon as I am done will upload not only this paper but also atleast 3 strategy management cases which i have done. Till then keep it coming guys.....Kiran.

ViJiT

Vijith Pujari
UHYBRIDE said:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it especially Kartik and vjaquarian. This paper has to be 10-15 pages long yaar. I wonder what the prof's do with it. In N.America a lot of prof's get students to write papers which they use for their own research.Anyway as soon as I am done will upload not only this paper but also atleast 3 strategy management cases which i have done. Till then keep it coming guys.....Kiran.

will w8 for ur project....kiran....