VERBAL ABILITY : CRACK THE CAT

ruvi_143

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Guys whats wrong with fervently( The 1st Q of Rahu Parabs verbal abiity test)

herz d question:
FILL IN THE BLANKS

1) He _____________ praised all his students in front of the inspector.
1] forcefully
2] highly
3] fervently
4] incredibly

To be fervent means to be passionate about something to the etent of admiring it and i feel it totally fots in d sentence. Whereas highly seems to be( sort of) inappropriate dor the sentence. It doesn sound suitable.

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Guys whats wrong with fervently( The 1st Q of Rahu Parabs verbal abiity test)

herz d question:
FILL IN THE BLANKS

1) He _____________ praised all his [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida]students[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] in front of the inspector.
1] forcefully
2] highly
3] fervently
4] incredibly

To be fervent means to be passionate about something to the etent of admiring it and i feel it totally fots in d sentence. Whereas highly seems to be( sort of) inappropriate dor the sentence. It doesn sound suitable

Think a little dear. Passionate praising ??

Highly praised acceptable, critical praise fine, but passionate praise doesnt seem to go down my throat .

keshwendu

Arrange the sentences A, B, C, D in a logical sequence so as to
form a coherent paragraph.

answer:

1) 2 DAECB
2) 3 CBADE
3) 3 CEDBA
4) 2 ACEDB

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
keshwendu said:
Arrange the sentences A, B, C, D in a logical sequence so as to
form a coherent paragraph.

answer:

1) 2 DAECB X
2) 3 CBADE X
3) 3 CEDBA
4) 2 ACEDB
ur last two answers are correct. Check the 1st two. I'll post the solutions tomorrow.

keshwendu

gaurav200x said:
ur last two answers are correct. Check the 1st two. I'll post the solutions tomorrow.
:SugarwareZ-229:

1) 4 ECBAD
2) 4 CBAED

I think it might be correct if not plz post correct answer.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
keshwendu said:
:SugarwareZ-229:

1) 4 ECBAD
2) 4 CBAED

I think it might be correct if not plz post correct answer.
The correct answers are

1) 4
2) 1
3) 3
4) 2

Please do ensure to give the reasons for ur choice, alongwith ur answers to justify ur choice.

Will post the next set of questions tomorrow.

Last edited:

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Ok, posting the next set of questions before i sleep.....

Each sentence below has one or two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Beneath the sentence are four lettered words or sets of words. Choose the word or set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.

1. Since it is now ___________ to build the complex central processing unit of a computer on a single silicon chip using photolithography and chemical etching, it seems plausible that other miniature structures might be fabricated in _________ ways.

1] unprecedented ... undiscovered
2] difficult ... related
3] permitted ... unique
4] routine ... similar

2. Given the evidence of Egyptian and Babylonian __________ later Greek civilization, it would be incorrect to view the work of Greek scientists as an entirely independent creation.

1] disdain for
2] imitation of
3] deference to
4] influence on

3. Laws do not ensure social order since laws can always be ____________, which makes them __________ unless the authorities have the will and the power to detect and punish wrongdoing.

1] contested ... provisional
2] circumvented ... antiquated
3] repealed ... vulnerable
4] violated ... ineffective

4. Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, she refused to consider the possibility that his statement has been ____________ .

1] irrelevant
2] facetious
3] critical
4] insincere

5. Ironically, the party leaders encountered no greater ____________ their efforts to build a progressive party than the ____________ of the progressives already elected to the legislature.

1] support for ... advocacy
2] threat to ... promise
3] benefit from ... success
4] obstacle to ... resistance

6. It is strange how words shape our thoughts and trap us at the bottom of deeply __________ canyons of thinking, their imprisoning sides carved out by the _______________ of past usage.

1] cleaved ... eruptions
2] rooted ... flood
3] incised ... river
4] ridged ... ocean

7. That his intransigence in making decisions __________ no open disagreement from any quarter was well known; thus, clever subordinates learned the art of _____________ their opinions in casual remarks.

1] elicited ... quashing
2] engendered ... recasting
3] brooked ... intimating
4] embodied ... instigating

Please do ensure to give the reasons for ur choice, alongwith ur answers to justify ur choice.

shrijit_s

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Answers in bold

1. Since it is now ___________ to build the complex central processing unit of a computer on a single silicon chip using photolithography and chemical etching, it seems plausible that other miniature structures might be fabricated in _________ ways.

2] difficult ... related
3] permitted ... unique
4] routine ... similar
Since we are tlaking about something becoming easier, only option 4 is right

2. Given the evidence of Egyptian and Babylonian __________ later Greek civilization, it would be incorrect to view the work of Greek scientists as an entirely independent creation.

1] disdain for
2] imitation of
3] deference to
4] influence on
We narrow down to 2 and 4 by elimination. And then only 4 makes sense

3. Laws do not ensure social order since laws can always be ____________, which makes them __________ unless the authorities have the will and the power to detect and punish wrongdoing.

If you look @ the first blank, you can narrow down your options to 2 and 4, but when you consider the 2nd blank, then 4 is the correct one

4. Since she believed him to be both candid and trustworthy, she refused to consider the possibility that his statement has been ____________ .

1] irrelevant
2] facetious
3] critical
4] insincere

5. Ironically, the party leaders encountered no greater ____________ their efforts to build a progressive party than the ____________ of the progressives already elected to the legislature.

2] threat to ... promise
Not sure abt this one. Frm 1st blank narrowed to 2 and 4 and then going with 4

6. It is strange how words shape our thoughts and trap us at the bottom of deeply __________ canyons of thinking, their imprisoning sides carved out by the _______________ of past usage.

1] cleaved ... eruptions
2] rooted ... flood
3] incised ... river
4] ridged ... ocean
MATKA :big_grin:

7. That his intransigence in making decisions __________ no open disagreement from any quarter was well known; thus, clever subordinates learned the art of _____________ their opinions in casual remarks.

1] elicited ... quashing
Again not very sure about this, But going with intimating after looking @ the 2nd blank

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal

If you look @ the first blank, you can narrow down your options to 2 and 4, but when you consider the 2nd blank, then 4 is the correct one

Dude, why is circumvent.... antiquated incorrect? Your answer is correct, but i am confused about this one.

shrijit_s

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
gaurav200x said:
Dude, why is circumvent.... antiquated incorrect? Your answer is correct, but i am confused about this one.

Curcumvent is to outwit or to go around the rules. So tell me how does circumventing a law make it antiquated. Please look @ the second blank correctly. Even I was gonna mark circumvent initially but once u look @ the snd blank everything becomes clear

Violating a law makes it ineffective if the authorites don't take any action.

Hope I made some sense

And what abt the other answers??

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Yes you make sense at shri..

Although my answer for 6th question would be

1] cleaved ... eruptions
2] rooted ... flood
3] incised ... river
4] ridged ... ocean

Deeply rooted and flood would be a better option :)

amardeep.rishi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
shrijit_s said:
Answers in bold

2] difficult ... related
3] permitted ... unique
4] routine ... similar
Since we are tlaking about something becoming easier, only option 4 is right

1] disdain for
2] imitation of
3] deference to
4] influence on
We narrow down to 2 and 4 by elimination. And then only 4 makes sense

1] irrelevant
2] facetious
3] critical
4] insincere

2] threat to ... promise
Not sure abt this one. Frm 1st blank narrowed to 2 and 4 and then going with 4

1] cleaved ... eruptions
2] rooted ... flood
3] incised ... river
4] ridged ... ocean
MATKA :big_grin:

1] elicited ... quashing
Again not very sure about this, But going with intimating after looking @ the 2nd blank

Hye shrijit.....i m not cleared abt the last one too......why not the second option....engender can b used for opinion too i m not sure but whats wrong with 2nd option can u elaborate plz

shrijit_s

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
amardeep.rishi said:
Hye shrijit.....i m not cleared abt the last one too......why not the second option....engender can b used for opinion too i m not sure but whats wrong with 2nd option can u elaborate plz

hello Sirjee

Now that you mention even I feel that option 2 may be the right one. As I had mentioned there I was not sure of my answer. I was not very sure of the meaning of engender..

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Ok guys, time for the answers..... I guess i made u wait for long. Shrijit, u got 6 correct out of 7

The correct answers are....

1) 4
2) 4
3) 4
4) 4
5) 4
6) 3
7) 3

The 2nd last one is 3] incised ... river. Please do explain ur last solution.

I shall be awarding the points to everyone and u earn 4 points for answering 6 questions correctly (the one who answers all correctly earns 10 points)

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Ok, CAT is coming very close... No time to lose. Another set of questions coming up.... Changing the source now....

Four statements with blanks have been given. These statements are followed by four alternatives. Choose the one that fits into the set of statements the maximum number of times.

1. A. Professional studies have become the ____ of the rich.
B. Every citizen has the _____ to speak, travel and live as he pleases.
C. He has a definite ______ over all his rivals.
D. Sheron no longer has the _____ of the company’s bungalow and car.

a) advantage b) privilege c) right d) concession

2. A. People sensed ______.
B. A bad _____ case had come in -- a person with a smashed arm.
C. And then, without warning, _____ struck.
D. The dogs were the first to recognize the sings of oncoming _________.

a) tragedy b) accident c) disaster d) calamity

3. A. The men there have fought _____ and emotional withdrawal, and were more capable of helping Jim.
B. But _____ does occasionally inflict all the adults.
C. A person who is deeply hurt can fall easily into ______.
D. It is hard to survive this feeling of _______.

a) dejection b) lonely c) trouble d) depression

4. A. Communism states that every individual must live for the _____.
B. The ______ of the affairs of the nation is deplorable.
C. Arms have been laid down by the United States, ______ The Statesman.
D. No _________ has succeeded in gaining complete autonomy from the Federal government.

a) state b) nation c) government d) condition

The questions basis of a short statement preceding them.

5. But because the idea of private property has been permitted to override with its selfishness the common good of humanity, it does not follow that there are no limits within which that idea can function for the general convenience and advantage.

Which of the following is most likely to weaken the argument?
a) All the people of the society should progress at an equitable rate and there should be no disparities and private property does bring about a tremendous disparity.
b) One should not strive for the common good of humanity at all, instead one should be concerned with maximizing one’s own wealth.
c) One should learn from the experiences of former communists nations and should not repeat their mistakes at all.
d) Even prosperous capitalist countries like the USA have their share of social problems.

6. The writer can only be fertile if he renews himself and he can only renew himself if his soul is constantly enriched by fresh experience.

Which of the following is most likely to support the above thought?
a) Only out of fresh experience can the writer get germs for new writing.
b) The writer can meet new people.
c) The writer must see new places.
d) None of these

Last edited:

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
1.) Professional studies have become the privilege of the rich
2.) Every citizen has the right to speak, travel and live as he pleases.
C. He has a definite advantageover all his rivals.
D. Sheron no longer has the concession of the company’s bungalow and car.

2. A. People sensed tragedy.
B. A bad accident case had come in -- a person with a smashed arm.
C. And then, without warning, disaster struck.
D. The dogs were the first to recognize the sings of oncoming calamity.

3.)
a.) lonely
b.) trouble
c.) depression
d.) dejection

shrijit_s

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
1. A. Professional studies have become the ____ of the rich.
B. Every citizen has the _____ to speak, travel and live as he pleases.
C. He has a definite ______ over all his rivals.
D. Sheron no longer has the _____ of the company’s bungalow and car.

a) advantage b) privilege c) right d) concession

2. A. People sensed ______.
B. A bad _____ case had come in -- a person with a smashed arm.
C. And then, without warning, _____ struck.
D. The dogs were the first to recognize the sings of oncoming _________.

a) tragedy b) accident c) disaster d) calamity

3. A. The men there have fought _____ and emotional withdrawal, and were more capable of helping Jim.
B. But _____ does occasionally inflict all the adults.
C. A person who is deeply hurt can fall easily into ______.
D. It is hard to survive this feeling of _______.

a) dejection b) lonely c) trouble d) depression

4. A. Communism states that every individual must live for the _____.
B. The ______ of the affairs of the nation is deplorable.
C. Arms have been laid down by the United States, ______ The Statesman.
D. No _________ has succeeded in gaining complete autonomy from the Federal government.

a) state b) nation c) government d) condition

The questions basis of a short statement preceding them.

5. But because the idea of private property has been permitted to override with its selfishness the common good of humanity, it does not follow that there are no limits within which that idea can function for the general convenience and advantage.

Which of the following is most likely to weaken the argument?
a) All the people of the society should progress at an equitable rate and there should be no disparities and private property does bring about a tremendous disparity.
b) One should not strive for the common good of humanity at all, instead one should be concerned with maximizing one’s own wealth.
c) One should learn from the experiences of former communists nations and should not repeat their mistakes at all.
d) Even prosperous capitalist countries like the USA have their share of social problems.

6. The writer can only be fertile if he renews himself and he can only renew himself if his soul is constantly enriched by fresh experience.

Which of the following is most likely to support the above thought?
a) Only out of fresh experience can the writer get germs for new writing.
b) The writer can meet new people.
c) The writer must see new places.
d) None of these

Gaurav pliss provide explantions if you can specially for Q5 and 6..I have no idea abt those 2.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
kartik said:
1.) Professional studies have become the privilege of the rich
2.) Every citizen has the right to speak, travel and live as he pleases.
C. He has a definite advantageover all his rivals.
D. Sheron no longer has the concession of the company’s bungalow and car.

2. A. People sensed tragedy.
B. A bad accident case had come in -- a person with a smashed arm.
C. And then, without warning, disaster struck.
D. The dogs were the first to recognize the sings of oncoming calamity.

3.)
a.) lonely
b.) trouble
c.) depression
d.) dejection
Kartik, dude, u dint understand properly what should be done for these questions. Please read the directions once again...

Awesome Sreejith.... u cracked all but the last one. Too good man!! i am sure u will crack open the RC/Verbal in CAT.... 4 points awarded to u.

The answers are....

1. (2) Privilege means freedom, right and concession – all three. Therefore, the rising costs of a good education have made it an advantage the rich have over those less privileged. Every citizen has the rights mentioned here. Having a privilege over one’s rivals means having an edge over them due to rank, connections or something else in one’s favor. And if Sheron had the privilege of the company’s bungalow and car, then that was a concession.

[FONT=&quot]2. (3) The clue here is sentence B – we never say ‘tragedy case’ or ‘calamity case’, and accident[/FONT]does not fit in the other sentences. ‘Disaster case’, however, is common usage, and disaster can be sensed and can strike. Hence, (3) is the correct answer.

3. (4) Dejection seems to be confusing here, but in sentence B, dejection does not occasionally inflict all adults for no particular reason. Hence, the correct answer is depression.

4. (1) State here means all of these things: the nation or country (in A and D), the condition if affairs (in B), and to testify or assert (in C).

5. (1) The statement says that if practiced within limits, the idea of private property can function to the good of most people. Statements b) and c) are frontal attacks on communism, which are not warranted by the paragraph. D) can be a likely answer but a) is a more general statement and hence is the correct answer.

[FONT=&quot]6 (1) In this case, to be fertile is to write well and produce good work. Hence (1).[/FONT]

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Just to give u guys, some more practice on such types of questions.... try the following.

1. Unless you devote your whole life to it, you will never learn to speak the language of another country to perfection; you will never know its people and its literature with complete intimacy.
Which of the following is likely to undermine the above argument?
a) I can speak ten foreign languages already.
b) I do not travel to foreign countries.
c) I am happy with the languages I know and do not need to learn any other language.
d) I should spend time to understand my own people and literature first, only then can I appreciate other languages and cultures.

2. I have been studying it, consciously and subconsciously, for forty years and I still find men unaccountable; people I know intimately can surprise me by some action of which I never thought them capable of, or by the discovery of some trait exhibit a side of themselves that I never even suspected.
The idea in this sentence can be best summarized as
a) Men are inconsistent and therefore one should not be confident even about one’s closest friends.
b) Men are unpredictable, one can never tell what do next, hence one should be very careful in one’s dealings.
c) No matter how closely you know somebody there still exists an unknown facet of his personality.
d) None of these

3. Now the audience is a very curious animal. It is shrewd rather than intelligent. Its mental capacity is less than that of its most intellectual members. If these were graded from A to Z, decreasing with succeeding letters to the zero of the hysterical shop girl, I should say its mental capacity would come around about the letter O.
According to the above statements,
a) Some members in the audience are more intelligent than any of its other members.
b) The net intelligence of the audience is a little less than average.
c) a only.
d) a and b both.

shrijit_s

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
1. Unless you devote your whole life to it, you will never learn to speak the language of another country to perfection; you will never know its people and its literature with complete intimacy.
Which of the following is likely to undermine the above argument?
a) I can speak ten foreign languages already.
b) I do not travel to foreign countries.
c) I am happy with the languages I know and do not need to learn any other language.
d) I should spend time to understand my own people and literature first, only then can I appreciate other languages and cultures.

2. I have been studying it, consciously and subconsciously, for forty years and I still find men unaccountable; people I know intimately can surprise me by some action of which I never thought them capable of, or by the discovery of some trait exhibit a side of themselves that I never even suspected.
The idea in this sentence can be best summarized as
a) Men are inconsistent and therefore one should not be confident even about one’s closest friends.
b) Men are unpredictable, one can never tell what do next, hence one should be very careful in one’s dealings.
c) No matter how closely you know somebody there still exists an unknown facet of his personality.
d) None of these

3. Now the audience is a very curious animal. It is shrewd rather than intelligent. Its mental capacity is less than that of its most intellectual members. If these were graded from A to Z, decreasing with succeeding letters to the zero of the hysterical shop girl, I should say its mental capacity would come around about the letter O.
According to the above statements,
a) Some members in the audience are more intelligent than any of its other members.
b) The net intelligence of the audience is a little less than average.
c) a only.
d) a and b both.

Very good questions Gaurav. I am very bad with critical reasoning & I hope this will help me out. I found this set of questions quite challenging. Not sure abt any answer..