Should Cell Phones Be Banned in Colleges??

Should cell phones be banned @ colleges

• Yes

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 82 82.0%

• Total voters

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Hey all,
Ssup. Write in your replies.. What do you think?? Should Cell phones be banned in colleges? If yes why? if no why?

Lets hope that faculties read this and consider this issue from a students perspective...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My View :-

Cell Phones should not be banned in colleges. With technological advancements we should make provisions to make better use of it.
In BMS colleges in mumbai, having a cell phone is a must. Many a time lectures are cancelled or timings are changed and classes are shifted to some other room numbers and students are informed thru SMS chain by a person having the well known, and ever famous reliance ka dabba which offers FREE SMS service. Imagine not carrying a cell phone when you come to college. And mind you, changes in lec timings and class rooms are informed at the last minute. Not having a cell phone at that time will ultimately result into wastage of time for a person travelling from say borivali or virar all the way to churchgate. And carrying a cell phone means paying a fine of Rs 500/- to the college.

Hope our educational system improves with time and joins hands with technology. As if introducing kullads in railways was not enough.. Is INDIA developing or are we on a backward trend?

Write in your reponses. I truly hope some faculty reads this :idea:

Laterz

milind20

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Cell phones should be allowed

I totally agree with u. Cell phones are a must in today's world. mainly b'coz of the unexpected lecture timings and room nos. i cannot even imagine life w/o a cell phone. my attendance would have been very less if it were not for the sms's of lecture timings. also because the cell phones are used for academic purposes, there is no point in banning them.
regards
:p

vengabeats

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
My view is that cellphones are must for todays life especially in BMS because anytime the lecture time changes and Also there was many students stucked in rain on 26th july in Mumbai so because of cellphones only students was able to contact at Homes, relatives etc.....

But cellphones with cameras should be banned in colleges because of the Scandals and many of the students take photo of answers and they copy in exams through it.

ViJiT

Vijith Pujari
a must , if someone misuse it then fine is a good think to control ........but banning is not a solution....

vesh

hi there, I dont think cellphones should be banned. they were a great help during the 26/7 incident. As far as the camera ones goes you can ban them but the normal ones are must for every student especially BMS students as any change in the college schedule is informed using SMS chains.
:rip:​

bhavin_3

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Well ma view kinda reflects more on the general scenario.. Dat being cell phones are provided to students at such young age... Nd with da techno gadget we hv we use this technology onto evil minds too.. Jst like da DPS case of mms.. Bringing a cell fone has become a necessity wen it comes to mngmt courses as ther are no fix schedules in many collgs of da lectures what time commencing and the classes werin they shall be conducted.. Cellphones becomes a major help dwn der.. :director: But @ da same time it being given at secondary schoolin level becomes like a tool for playin pranks which mite end up onto hurtin an individual image.. So better provide da cellphones @ mngmt level as its a necessity nd dey knw da usage.. While secondary level cell phones wit camera should be eliminated but a communication instrument is alwyz welcome.. !! Ppl who say Cellphones :banplease: i say :amen: :peace:

sandhya_cool

i think cell phones can be pretty useful if used properly,unfortunately they have only turned out to become a distraction!!! i do not think cell phones should be banned,as there could be some important news about timings or any thing urgent !!its important to trace down anyone. and also for safety.but i really do belive that cell phones should not be brought to colleges for distraction and fun or even for showoff,as its really turning off!! until and unless we really need them ,we should have it!

amirapu_sow

Well….now that cell phones have made their mark successfully connecting people…it would be a big misnomer to say that they are not required for even a school going student.
The way we (though college students) can stay connected with the rest of the world…Knowing the news updates…the stock market fluctuations….all these I just can’t miss simply because IM IN MY COLLEGE…there are many uses of having stay connected and a ban on this would means a ban on my own information.

But also looking into the fact of the real usage of it by the students as a means of hindering privacy of others (cam phones) is an issue to be thought of. We have seen recent cases of how cam phones have been exploited by the students. It only explains the fact that some use it for information and some use it as a mere tool for exploitation. However the situation may be ban on cell phones in the college can never be a solution.

As technology breeds producing innovative products it is the responsibility of the man to use it intelligently. His usage clearly specifies whether education ruined him or that it made him wise.

SURBHI JAIN

i think carrying cellphone is the need of hour.any person who steps out of house needs to b equiped with a mobile even if he is a student.cellphones r very handy in case of accident or mishhap nd its not that students dont have mishaps .cell helps us keeping contact within the college because campuses r so big.AND MOST OF ALL CELLS PROVIDE IS WITH A GAME TO PLAY DURING A BORING LECTURE

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
I think the use of cell phones can't be prohibited in colleges, owing to the fact that mobile phone is part-and-parcel of everyday life. Communication has become so much dependent on it, that i don't think, that today's man can see life without a mobile. However, the misuse of mobile phones is more of a conscience-provoking thing. We can make laws, but can't change anyone's conscience. People have to become smarter and others have to become more righteous in their attitude, as misuse of a technology is always disasterous. They must realise that the ones they degrade by filming in such an obscene way, can one day, be their own family members too! (God Forbid!)

Hence, we need to bring such kind of awareness in people, try to awaken their lost souls, rather than thinking of banning the technology...

As Kartik once told me, if u have a headache, u don't chop off the head, rather seek for medication.

khushg

i feel cell phones are really helpful... as everyone here mentioned abt the last moment changes in lecture timings and all... i feel cell phones have helped each of us...

but i would like to mention one thing i.e. if cell phones are banned for students than it should be banned for professors too... why are they allowed to talk on phone in between the lectures and do whatever they want... i feel cell phones are very helpful in case of emergency.... atleast i can contact my mom-dad when my coll ppl do non-sense things...

regards
-khushboo...

atulbhasin

Going back to basics - Remember - Technology if used wisely is a boon else a disaster. It hold true for use of cellphones in colleges (or even school !! we can see lot of kids carrying one!)

If everyone understands the importance & utility of cellphone and also use them for productive work (I mean productive as in studies & results ONLY) and if the students can demonstrate the same thru' their behavior, No college will ban or charge fine for carrying a cellphone. Make no mistake - even a single instance of MMS like the one happened at DPS Delhi will again trigger policing by the college.

vipinair

cell phones should not be banned! people argue how did your seniors exist in the age without the cell phones...well there are lotssa things that people didnt enjoy then....it was YOUR bad luck...on the serious front...as age evolves...everyone has to grow...and this goes especially with the elders... i.e our professors and principals! well if you really want to ban then PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH! there are so many professors who use their cell phone in between their lectures! isnt that wrong?

cell phones..should not be banned...every student should take a responsibilty to not make it a nuisance for the fellow students and professors during lectures!

regards...
-vipin.

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hi Folks,
I agree to the fact that Mobile Phones are part of life and has become an indispensable gadget.Mobile phones are really helpful when he/she is need of help.But I can't take the case of BMS because the college should give prior annoucements to its students regarding the cancellation of session(s).But they are using the techonology to cover their mistake.But looking at other side of the coin that students waste really a gud amount of time talking over the mobile phones and as someone has already suggested they started sending messages and playing games during class hours.This is not a good sign for a student.

So my conclusion could be "you are allowed to carry Mobile phones within the campus but the phones must be switched OFF during class hours."

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
The whole education system is missing one point.

When I was in school, I had this teacher Parul Ma'am . Whenever a student used to yawn or was not paying attention.. she used to stop teaching and ask the class if the session was boring.. then a little bit humour along the side of the subject and things would catch up .

It seldom happened that a student would not give her the much earned undivided attention she expected.

Now lets look at your part of the story.. if a prof is teaching and a student is playing with his cell phone.. the student is not to be blamed .. its the responsibility of the prof to make it interesting.. else.. whats the point in paying the prof ??

Piggybacking on ban to the use of cell phones for coping with the profs inability to teach cannot be accepted.

Now, If you want to ban use of cell phones for students, apply the same rule for profs, as if students will get distracted when a prof uses it in between the class as much as if it would be the other way round.

Pallavi S

A RULE IN THE COLLEGE SHUD B 4 ALL...........THEN B IT A STUDENT OR A PROF. FOR THAT MATTER.

AS FAR AS THE CASE OF "BANNIN CELL PHONES" IS CONCERNED .............ITS ABSOLUTELY NOT FEASIBLE........................:cell: ...

BUT THEN 1 CANNOT IGNORE THE FACT THAT CLASSROOM DECORUM HAS 2 B MAINTAINED...............THIS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF BOTH THE PROF. & THE STUDENT.......FOR THIS V HAVE ALTERNATIVES......EITHER SWITCH OFF OR GO ON SILENT MODE.

BANNIN IS NOT A SOLUTION.....................Y TAKE UNTHOUGHTFUL DECISIONS THAT GIVE RISE 2 OTHER PROBLEMS.

THANX...

PALLAVI.:love: