Career Guidance Needed

BrianLara

Hello friends, I wish to go abroad for my higher studies, actually I aspire to join Cambridge or some famous university. Can anyone guide me for this, what all exams should I appear for and also if any study material is available for them?

vicky_600

MP Guru
Hello friends, I wish to go abroad for my higher studies, actually I aspire to join Cambridge or some famous university. Can anyone guide me for this, what all exams should I appear for and also if any study material is available for them?

i am just attaching some text that would give you an idea about what toefl is?
also check out the Gmat section in our GMAT forum to get a clear idea

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL®) is an examination that is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and used to evaluate a nonnative English speaker's proficiency in the English language. Many North American colleges and universities, as well as a large number of institutions, agencies, and programs, ask for official TOEFL® Test score reports for international students. An acceptable score on the TOEFL® Test depends on the specific requirements of the particular institution or agency involved.

In the United States and Canada, you will have to take the computerized test. Elsewhere, depending on where you live or the circumstances in which you are taking the test, you will have to take either the computerized test or the paper test. You should find out which test you will be taking so that you can become familiar with its requirements and test format.

SECTIONS

Listening section

The Listening Section of the Computer-Based TOEFL® Test measures your ability to understand spoken English. It contains listening passages and questions about each passage.

Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL® Test offers a wealth of multimedia activities to help you prepare for the Listening Section.
The tutorials in the book and on the CD-ROM explain all current question types used in the Listening Section of the Computer-Based TOEFL® Test:
multiple choice/one correct answer
multiple choice/two correct answers
multiple choice/picture or graph
ordering
match the terms
There are plenty of opportunities to practice answering each question type and to get used to the clicking sequence required to answer questions in the Computer-Based Test.

STRUCTURE SECTION?

The Structure Section of the Computer-Based TOEFL® Test measures your ability to understand the structures of standard written English. This section consists of two kinds of questions: complete-the-sentence and identify-the-error.

In complete-the-sentence questions, you must decide which of the four choices best completes the sentence.

In identify-the-error questions, each sentence has four underlined words or phrases. One of the underlined choices contains an error or omission. You must decide which one is incorrect and click on your choice.

Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL® Test contains a complete grammar review and almost 100 exercises in the book.

READING SECTION?

The Reading Section of the Computer-Based TOEFL® Test measures your ability to understand academic written English. It contains passages and questions about each passage.

In the Reading Section, there are four types of questions:
multiple choice
click on a sentence or paragraph
click on the word or phrase

In Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL® Test, each of the almost 30 exercises in the Reading Section focuses on a specific skill: choosing the synonym and making inferences

WRITING SECTION?

he Writing Section of the Computer-Based TOEFL® Test measures your ability to compose an essay in standard written English. You will have thirty minutes to write an essay in response to an assigned question.
Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL® Test offers almost 30 exercises to guide you through the writing process, from writing topic sentences to brainstorming for ideas to writing conclusions

Last edited by a moderator:

rachel44ggg

I think if you are going to join Cambridge you are certainly going to benefit your life and career because it is a reputed institute and famous in world.