kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Hello Friends

The CAT is out of the box and most have headed to the movie theaters while some are anxiously awaiting the results and answer keys to be put up on the net by various coaching classes while some are eager to know about others CAT 2008 experience and share their experience.

Lets use this thread to discuss the CAT 2008 paper over all

Please share with us your experiences about:
CAT 2008 paper and your expectation mismatch.
Your CAT 2008 Strategy ( no of attempts across sections )
CAT 2008 paper toughness level
Your attempts and expected score !

Also, what did you think of the latest 90 questions system with the most marks weight age given to English section which is notoriously known for its ambiguity.
25 quant
25 DI
40 verbal
Hoping most of you get to your dream college :(thankss

onlygeek

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Ah well, my first attempt for CAT ... Quite Interesting

The kids flocking the Thakur College gates was like thirsty men fighting to get hold of the only waterpump in a desert. This moment I got an idea that this is what our future managers are :D

I felt better, standing away with a few patient and composed gentlemen waiting for the rush to ease. So my eyes naturally went on to notice the pretty gals, some on scooty, some with parents, some with a groups of friends (as if this was a movie outing) ... Whtever!

Going back in time, a few hours back -- Just past midnight I was sitting at my desk, just back from a good long outing with cousins. I had the opportunity then to have a first look at the CAT paper pattern. Yes the FIRST look. (For the extra-serious kinds, who prepared a year for CAT - You can stop reading here).

While purchasing the CAT forms from AXIS bank, some gentlemen from CareerForum had handed me this paper in a envelop ... So its true that I never prepared for this test, nor did I know whats coming. Though I can give the excuse that I don't believe in taking coaching for entrance exams, fact is that I didn't have the time.

However as I sat in the exam hall I could see all kinds of jokers :p Some extra cheerful wishing best of luck to every tom dick and harry, while some extra studious silent ones. And a very few who looked like they had already secured admission to IIMA (yeah the overcondidents).

So the paper.... It would be quite interesting to know how I did without any preparations. I was able to handle almost everything, except those square-roots and 7 raised to 2008 stuff. Anything that required knowledge of formulas or maths went as a bouncer. Logical ones were hit for boundaries, and I marked a few answers form the passages without reading the passage- as it was plain philosophy. I don't expect any magic, or great score .. but I heard people saying that CAT 2008 was on the easier side...

Ps: Don't mistake me for a Asshole who just went for TP .. I am much worse than that :) I went to see the tension filled faces and more ...

You can catch me on Annkur

onlygeek

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
And did I forgot to mention, i was done 30 mins in advance. and spent the last 15 mins sleeping !! much to the horror of the onlookers

vengabeats

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
My second attempt and i again screwed it. :(

Expected that format will be same..but der was a change in the format.
Verbal- 40 Questions
DI- 25 Questions
Quant- 25 Questions

According to me,

DI compared to last year was bit tough. No of sets were more. it was calculation intensive. However, some sets like houses, cut-offs, teams (a, b, c, d, e, f) sets were easy.

Quant was bit easier compared to last year. some sums like last 2 digits of 7^2008, common terms in sequences, seeds & horses were easy and doable.

40 ?s in verbal was bit difficult for me to handle (i Suck in verbal).

So overall not a good experience for me.

Will start CET preps ;) .

vengabeats

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Expected cut-offs:

Career Launcher :

Quant: 30-32
VA: 46-48
DI: 28-30
Overall: 125+ [ for a single call ]

Career Forum :

Quant: 28
DI/DS: 32
VA 46
Overall 121+

TIME's :

QA: 18+-2
DI: 32+-2
VA: 42+-2
OA: 125+-3

harjot

hey after this downturn in economy do u really think is it worth to invest so much of time and money in MBA????????

onlygeek

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
@harjot: the recession is temporary ... quality brains will always get quality jobs

MBA is not a degree, its a way of thinking and functioning. Though the branding it gives helps jobseekers, ... entrepreneurs do well after the wisdom of a MBA course is added to them