navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 221-230

Time: 7 minutes

221. The farther an object from the surface of a planet, ______ .

it weighs the lesser
the less it weights
the less its weight
it weighs less

222. Portland, the largest city in Oregon and seat of Multnomah County, is located in northern part of the state on the Willamette River.

the
seat
northern
on

223. Erin Billy won the Lucise Prize of poetry in 1991 for the poem Crashing Alone.

won
of
for
the poem

224. All architectural structures are designed to bear their own weight, ______ .

as well as that of the people and objects that use them
also the people and objects that are using them
but the people and objects that use them
additionally the people and objects that are used by them

225. According to all findings to date, the known universe consists almost entirely of the hydrogen.

findings
to date
known
the hydrogen

226.The failures of a scientist, while often at first thought disastrous, are often as important than her successes.

failures
at first thought
as
successes

227. An overly detailed ______ of the characters and setting of a novel can sometimes distract from the narrative quality of a short story.

describe
descriptive
describing
description

228. Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Johnson, is best known for her works of prose and poetries.

born
for
works
poetries

229. Canadian Louis Stephen St. Laurent was among the first ______ the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

who was suggested the organization of countries that would later become
to suggest the organization of countries that would later become
people suggesting the countries organization that later became
of them to suggest the organization of countries to later become

230. The function of a biologist is both to describe organisms in minute detail also to understand why they behave as they do.

a biologist
in minute detail
also
as they do

source:test magic

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure Questions-ANSWERS

ANSWERS
The best answers look like this.

221. The farther an object from the surface of a planet, ______ .

it weighs the lesser
the less it weights
the less its weight
it weighs less

The best answer is C. Read the explanation here.

222. Portland, the largest city in Oregon and seat of Multnomah County, is located in northern part of the state on the Willamette River.

the
seat
northern
on

223. Erin Billy won the Lucise Prize of poetry in 1991 for the poem Crashing Alone.

won
of
for
the poem

The best answer is B. Read the explanation here.

224. All architectural structures are designed to bear their own weight, ______ .

as well as that of the people and objects that use them
also the people and objects that are using them
but the people and objects that use them
additionally the people and objects that are used by them

The best answer is A. Read the explanation here.

225. According to all findings to date, the known universe consists almost entirely of the hydrogen.

findings
to date
known
the hydrogen

The best answer is D. Read the explanation here.

226.The failures of a scientist, while often at first thought disastrous, are often as important than her successes.

failures
at first thought
as
successes

227. An overly detailed ______ of the characters and setting of a novel can sometimes distract from the narrative quality of a short story.

describe
descriptive
describing
description

228. Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Johnson, is best known for her works of prose and poetries.

born
for
works
poetries

229. Canadian Louis Stephen St. Laurent was among the first ______ the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

who was suggested the organization of countries that would later become
to suggest the organization of countries that would later become
people suggesting the countries organization that later became
of them to suggest the organization of countries to later become

The best answer is B. Read the explanation here.

230. The function of a biologist is both to describe organisms in minute detail also to understand why they behave as they do.

a biologist
in minute detail
also
as they do

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 001-010

TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 001-010

Start of Test

Because of the enormous pull gravitational of the Moon, the shape of the Earth actually changes as the largest oceans are "pulled" toward the Moon.

Because of
pull gravitational
as
toward

Only with the advent of refrigerator were most Americans able to begin to consume fresh meat.

refrigerator
were
to begin
meat

Although ______ a successful film, none of her other works have to date been adapted to the film format.

The Joy Luck Club is best known novel by Amy Tan was made into
The Joy Luck Club was made into a film by Amy Tan’s best known
Amy Tan’s best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, was made into
Amy Tan’s best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, made

The gross domestic product of a country is a figure expressed in monetary terms that represents the entire economy value of the goods and services produced in that country.

a figure
expressed
economy
goods

In addition to the more traditional simple oven many ______ either by circulating heated air around the food or by heating the moisture contained in the food with microwaves, and a few do both.

functioning modern ovens
modern ovens that function
modern ovens function
the function of modern ovens

One of the first state of the United States, Rhode Island is the smallest of all the states and is located north of the largest city in the United States, New York City.

state
the smallest
is located
north

Critical to understand the phenomenon of human intelligence is the notion that not all human thought patterns are either predictable or rational.

understand
not all
are
or

The advent of the personal computer and easy access to information via the Internet has allowed many more entrepreneurs ______ than ever before.

to open home-based businesses
who open home-based businesses
opening businesses home-based
base at home their business

Deciduous trees are those who have leaves that fall off once a year, typically before the advent of winter.

who
once a year
typically
winter

______ "orca" means whale, the orca is actually a member of the dolphin family, the delphinids.

That
Why
While
It is

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure Questions- Test 001-010 Answers

Answers

1. Because of the enormous pull gravitational of the Moon, the shape of the Earth actually changes as the largest oceans are "pulled" toward the Moon.

Because of
pull gravitational
Correction: gravitational pull.

In this case, pull is a noun (it means attraction) even though we usually use pull as a verb. gravitational is an adjective. Therefore, we need this pattern: adjective + noun.
as
toward

2. Only with the advent of refrigerator were most Americans able to begin to consume fresh meat.

refrigerator
Correction: refrigeration.

First, we need a noun here because of is a preposition. refrigerator is a noun, but it is the wrong form of the noun. A refrigerator is the machine that we have in our kitchens to keep food cold. In this case, we should use the noun that refers to the technology.
were
to begin
meat

3. Although ______ a successful film, none of her other works have to date been adapted to the film format.

The Joy Luck Club is best known novel by Amy Tan was made into
The Joy Luck Club was made into a film by Amy Tan’s best known
Amy Tan’s best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, was made into

In this case, we need a sentence after the subordinating conjunction Although. In this case, the sentence is novel was made.
Amy Tan’s best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, made

4. The gross domestic product of a country is a figure expressed in monetary terms that represents the entire economy value of the goods and services produced in that country.

a figure
expressed
economy
Correction: economic

We need the adjective form here to modify the noun value. economy is a noun.
goods

5. In addition to the more traditional simple oven many ______ either by circulating heated air around the food or by heating the moisture contained in the food with microwaves, and a few do both.

functioning modern ovens
modern ovens that function
modern ovens function

We need a main subject and a main verb in this sentence.
the function of modern ovens

6. One of the first state of the United States, Rhode Island is the smallest of all the states and is located north of the largest city in the United States, New York City.

state
Correction: states

We need the plural form of state here because we are talking about more than one state.
the smallest
is located
north

7. Critical to understand the phenomenon of human intelligence is the notion that not all human thought patterns are either predictable or rational.

understand
Correction: understanding

This is a tricky one! In this case to is a preposition, it is not part of the infinitive. Therefore, we should have a noun after to. Here's a similar example: dedicated to. to is a preposition, so we should have a noun after to. For example, we can say: I am dedicated to my family. Right? Now, what if I want to use the idea of a verb after dedicated to? For example, what if I want to say that I like to help my family? Then I would say I am dedicated to helping my family. I cannot say I am dedicated to XhelpX my family since to needs a noun after it and help is not a noun. Many of my students think this is one of the hardest grammar points to remember, so I have a sentence for them to memorize to help them remember this grammar pattern:

Mother Theresa dedicated her life to helping the poor.
not all
are
or

8. The advent of the personal computer and easy access to information via the Internet has allowed many more entrepreneurs ______ than ever before.

to open home-based businesses

After the verb allow we should use the infinitive form. For example, she allowed me to use her car.
who open home-based businesses
opening businesses home-based
base at home their business

9. Deciduous trees are those who have leaves that fall off once a year, typically before the advent of winter.

who
Correction: that

We should only use who for people, or sometimes, for such animals as pets.
once a year
typically
winter

10. ______ "orca" means whale, the orca is actually a member of the dolphin family, the delphinids.

That
Why
While

We need a subordinating conjunction to show contrast here. In other words, we need to use a word that means even though or despite the fact that.
It is

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure Underlines -Start Test 011-020

TOEFL Structure Underlines -Start Test 011-020

Each question of this type has one grammar mistake. Choose the underlined portion that has the mistake.

Example:

I are tired, but I will study anyway.

(A) are
(B) but
(C) will
(D) anyway

In this case, we should choose (A) since I are tired is incorrect; the sentence should read I am tired, but I will study anyway.
Blanks

For this type of question, choose the answer choice that best completes the sentence.

Example:

I ______ tired, but I will study anyway.

(A) is
(B) being
(C) am
(D) to be

In this case, we should choose (C) since the sentence should read I am tired, but I will study anyway.

Start Test

Located in the upper part of the hind shanks of the greyhound [are] the overdeveloped and powerful thigh muscles [enabling] it to make short, [yet] powerful sprints [in race].

are
enabling
yet
in race

______ second in size to Jupiter, Saturn has a mass much smaller than that of Jupiter.

When
While
Despite
Nevertheless

[Given] the difficulty [of mastering] the subtleties of the violin, there is [not] difficulty understanding why there are few children proficient [in] playing it.

Given
of mastering
not
in

What is known as the Homestead Act of 1862 granted those who ventured westward ______ .

to receive needed and desired land
the land they both needed and desired
needing and desiring land
where they most needed and desired land

Almost ninety per cent of [American] high school [students] claim they know [how to read], yet this figure is probably [somewhat lower].

American
students
how to read
somewhat lower

From the simplest single-cell organism floating in prehistoric oceans ______ all forms of life now inhabiting the earth.

evolved
had evolved
evolve
evolving

Zirconium is [a] [metallic element] with a high [melting] point that is widely [used] alloys.

a
metallic element
melting
used

______ is the earthquake that is most widely remembered, it was actually the fire that ensued that caused the most damage in San Francisco in 1906.

It
Being that
Although
Whereas it

After the Gold Rush in California in 1849 came [dramatically] higher number of [immigrants] than [had been] [seen in] the previous year.

dramatically
immigrants
had been
seen in

[Architect and founder] of the University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson [built] his house Monticello [overlooking] the campus [in] Charlottesville, Virginia.

Architect and founder
built
overlooking

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure Underlines - Answers 011-020

Answers

TOEFL Structure: #011-020

Located in the upper part of the hind shanks of the greyhound [are] the overdeveloped and powerful thigh muscles [enabling] it to make short, [yet] powerful sprints [in race].

are
enabling
yet
in race

Correction: in a race or in races

Difficulty level: Medium

* TestMagic Explanation: A singular count noun with no determiner is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

012. ______ second in size to Jupiter, Saturn has a mass much smaller than that of Jupiter.

When
While

Difficulty level: Medium

* TestMagic Explanation: First, we have a reduced adverb clause here. The original clause would be While it is second in size to Jupiter. Second, we need to show contrast between being second in size (which sounds like it is close in size) and having a much smaller mass. In other words, from the sentence, it sounds like Saturn is similar in size (even though it is not in reality) but much smaller in mass.

Despite
Nevertheless

013. [Given] the difficulty [of mastering] the subtleties of the violin, there is [not] difficulty understanding why there are few children proficient [in] playing it.

Given
of mastering
not

Correction: no or not any

Difficulty level: Hard

* TestMagic Explanation: This is a hard one! Basically, since difficulty is a noun, we can only use a determiner with it, or we can change the sentence to not any difficulty. Remember, no = not any. Are you starting to see how important determiners are?

in

014. What is known as the Homestead Act of 1862 granted those who ventured westward ______ .

to receive needed and desired land
the land they both needed and desired

* TestMagic Explanation: Essentially, granted is a transitive verb that needs to objects (a direct object and an indirect object), just like the verb gave. In this case, the two objects are those and the land.

needing and desiring land
where they most needed and desired land

015. Almost ninety per cent of [American] high school [students] claim they know [how to read], yet this figure is probably [somewhat lower].

American

Correction: all American

* TestMagic Explanation: This is a tough one! I bet if you show it to a native speaker of English, she might not be able to notice that there's anything wrong. And, in fact, maybe this question would be too hard for the real TOEFL, but I thought it would be good to put it on here, at least to teach you the rule.

So, here's the rule:

quantifier + of + determiner + NOUN

If we look at these examples, we can see the grammar rule very clearly:

most of the people, NOT X most of people X

half of my money, NOT X half of money X

students
how to read
somewhat lower

016. From the simplest single-cell organism floating in prehistoric oceans ______ all forms of life now inhabiting the earth.

evolved

* TestMagic Explanation: We have inversion in this sentence. Click the link to see why this sentence has inversion and what other types of inversion are possible. Here's what the original sentence would look like:

All forms of life now inhabiting the earth evolved from the simplest single-cell organism floating in prehistoric oceans .

had evolved
evolve
evolving

017. Zirconium is [a] [metallic element] with a high [melting] point that is widely [used] alloys.

a
metallic element
melting
used

Correction: used in

* TestMagic Explanation: If you study at TestMagic, you will learn why we need a preposition after used, but it takes a little while to explain. I think this one is easier to understand just by seeing the correction.

018. ______ is the earthquake that is most widely remembered, it was actually the fire that ensued that caused the most damage in San Francisco in 1906.

It
Being that
Although
Whereas it

* TestMagic Explanation: This one is hard not because of the grammar but because of the vocabulary. Whereas means although, both of which are adverb clause subordinating conjunctions.

019. After the Gold Rush in California in 1849 came [dramatically] higher number of [immigrants] than [had been] [seen in] the previous year.

dramatically

Correction: a dramatically

* TestMagic Explanation: Remember, if you see a singular count noun with no determiner, it is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. In this case, number is the singular count noun with no determiner. Why is this one so hard? Simple--the underline is so far from the singular count noun; by the time we get to the singular count noun, we've already forgotten!

immigrants
had been
seen in

020. [Architect and founder] of the University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson [built] his house Monticello [overlooking] the campus [in] Charlottesville, Virginia.

Architect and founder
built
overlooking

Correction: to overlook

* TestMagic Explanation: In this case, we need to use the infinitive of purpose to explain why Thomas Jefferson built his house. Some TestMagic students have pointed out that overlooking is grammatically correct. Yes, this is true; it is grammatically correct, but the meaning is completely wrong. If we say overlooking, then it means that the house was already overlooking the campus of the University of Virginia, which is impossible since the house didn't exist before it was built!

Are you wondering why Architect and founder don't need determiners? They are, after all, singular count nouns, right? Yes, in fact, they are, but determiners are optional with certain job titles.

in

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure Underlines:start test 021-030

TOEFL Structure Underlines:start test 021-030

Each question of this type has one grammar mistake. Choose the underlined portion that has the mistake.

Example:

(A) are
(B) but
(C) will
(D) anyway

In this case, we should choose (A) since I are tired is incorrect; the sentence should read I am tired, but I will study anyway.
Blanks

For this type of question, choose the answer choice that best completes the sentence.

Example:

(A) is
(B) being
(C) am
(D) to be

In this case, we should choose (C) since the sentence should read I am tired, but I will study anyway.

Start Test

[Born] Marguerite Johnson in 1928, [author and poet] Maya Angelou has received [awards numerous] for her [works], including Grammy Awards in 1994 and 1996.

Born
author and poet
awards numerous
works

022. Modern psychological theory allows [for] the concept of [free will], a [recent relatively] development [in] this field.

for
free will
recent relatively
in

023. One of ______ smallest particles thought to exist, the quark is believed to exist in pairs, together forming a hadron.

what was the
what the
those of the
the

024. The first [years] of one's education are thought [to provide] the [basic] of one's ability [to learn] in later years.

years
to provide
basic
to learn

025. Most wood will float in water, but if it is ______ , it will sink.

dense enough
so dense that
enough dense
density

026. Nationwide elections are [held] in the United States every four years, [primarily] [choosing] public officials for the [offices] of president and vice-president.

held
primarily
choosing
offices

027. ______ are contained in DNA, the complex chemical mixture that determines the hereditary characteristics of an organism.

The genes
The genes that
Although the genes
There are genes

028. Although some species are among [the smallest] of all mammals, the shrew is known [as preying] [on] other animals [twice] its size.

the smallest
as preying
on
twice

029. Born in 1924, Shirley Chisholm became ______ elected to the Congress of the United States.

the first African-American woman who
the first African-American woman to be
first African-American woman who was
the first African-American woman to

030. The three-toed sloth [moves] so slowly [that] its movements from one place [to] another are [imperceptible practically].

moves
that
to
imperceptible practically

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure Underlines:test ANSWERS 021-030

ANSWERS

TOEFL Structure: #021-030

[Born] Marguerite Johnson in 1928, [author and poet] Maya Angelou has received [awards numerous] for her [works], including Grammy Awards in 1994 and 1996.

Born
author and poet
awards numerous

* Level of Difficulty: Easy
* Correction: numerous awards
* Magic Explanation: This one is simple to explain--we need the adjective before the noun. This one is tricky because in some languages the adjective comes after the noun. In this case, numerous is an adjective and awards is a noun. A simple example of this rule is the phrase little house.

works

022. Modern psychological theory allows [for] the concept of [free will], a [recent relatively] development [in] this field.

for
free will
recent relatively

* Level of Difficulty: Easy
* Correction: relatively recent
* Magic Explanation: In English, when an adverb modifies an adjective, the adverb must come before the adjective. A simple example of this rule is the phrase very delicious. In this case, relatively is an adverb, and it modifies the adjective recent.

in

023. One of ______ smallest particles thought to exist, the quark is believed to exist in pairs, together forming a hadron.

what was the
what the
those of the
the

* Level of Difficulty: Medium
* Magic Explanation: This sentence already has a main subject and main verb, so we don't need to look at that part of the sentence. We need only look at the first part:

One of ______ smallest particles thought to exist

In this case, we are only missing the determiner the; we cannot add anything else. We can see a simple example of this pattern in the phrase One of the best ways...

024. The first [years] of one's education are thought [to provide] the [basic] of one's ability [to learn] in later years.

years

* Some people think years is wrong because they learn that the word first must modify a singular noun. This is not true. It is very easy to use first to describe a group. For example, we could say The first people I met in the United States were very friendly. When we have first + plural noun, it means the first ones.
to provide
basic
* Correction: basis
* Magic Explanation: Here, we need a noun, basis. basic is an adjective, so it is wrong. This one is tricky because in some languages (like Portuguese) the word for the noun basis is very similar to the English adjective basic.

to learn

025. Most wood will float in water, but if it is ______ , it will sink.

dense enough

* Magic Explanation: The general rule is:

adjective + enough

or

enough + noun

In this case, dense is an adjective.

so dense that
enough dense
density

026. Nationwide elections are [held] in the United States every four years, [primarily] [choosing] public officials for the [offices] of president and vice-president.

held
primarily
choosing

* Level of Difficulty: Difficult
* Correction: to choose
* Magic Explanation: In this case, we need to use the infinitive to explain why the nationwide elections are held. A simple example of this pattern would be the sentence: Music is played in stores to make people happy.

offices

027. ______ are contained in DNA, the complex chemical mixture that determines the hereditary characteristics of an organism.

The genes

* Magic Explanation: We are missing a main subject in this sentence, nothing more. The second part of the sentence, the complex chemical mixture... is a reduced adjective clause that modifies DNA.

The genes that

* If we choose this answer, we have no main verb.
Although the genes
* If we choose this answer, we have no main verb.
There are genes
* This answer is almost correct, but we would have to say There are genes that

028. Although some species are among [the smallest] of all mammals, the shrew is known [as preying] [on] other animals [twice] its size.

the smallest
as preying

* Correction: to prey
* Magic Explanation: To answer this question correctly, we need to understand the difference between known as, known for, and known to do something. Click here to learn more!

on
twice

029. Born in 1924, Shirley Chisholm became ______ elected to the Congress of the United States.

the first African-American woman who
the first African-American woman to be

* Magic Explanation: This is a very common pattern on the TOEFL; you should memorize it. Here's the pattern:

the first + NOUN + to do something

Here's a simple sentence to help you remember the pattern:

You are the first person to tell me that I am funny.

first African-American woman who was
the first African-American woman to

030. The three-toed sloth [moves] so slowly [that] its movements from one place [to] another are [imperceptible practically].

moves
that
to
imperceptible practically

* Correction: practically imperceptible
* Magic Explanation: In English, when an adverb modifies an adjective, the adverb must come before the adjective. A simple example of this rule is the phrase very delicious. In this case, practically is an adverb, and it modifies the adjective imperceptible.

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure Questions, 030-040

TOEFL Structure Questions, 030-040

Start Test

1. A lunar eclipse is a phenomenon occurring when the Earth blocks Sun's light from the Moon.

A
occurring when
Sun's
from the

2. ______ are most mammals able to receive the most information about what is happening in their immediate environment.

Because they use sight
By means of sight
With the sights
Using sight

3. The Consumer Price Index in the United States ______ the inflation rate.

as the primary indicates
is the indication primarily
primarily indicates of
is a primary indicator of

4. Some of the most influential works in twentieth-century American classical music were composed in the period between the first and the fifth decade.

works
were
and
decade

5. Although the grammar of the English language is chiefly derived ______ Germanic languages, some 80% of its vocabulary comes from Latin.

for
from
with
of

6. On the land or in the sea, carrion creatures have adapted to feed by any type of food that is available in their habitat.

On
have adapted
by
is available

7. The brightest point seen in the night sky is typically not a star but Venus, it is the second planet from the Sun.

seen in
typically
it is
the Sun

8. Information technology is quickly becoming the most important economic export ______.

in certain geographical areas
for area that are geographic
in certain areas geographical
of certain geographical area

9. Although originated in tropical Africa, watermelon is now cultivated all over the world.

Although
originated
is now
all over

10. In 1995, Newt Gingrich was sworn ______ Speaker of the House, the first Republican Speaker in more than 40 years.

in as
to be
to
in

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure Questions, Answer-030-040

Answer

1. A lunar eclipse is a phenomenon occurring when the Earth blocks Sun's light from the Moon.

A
occurring when
Sun's ==> the Sun's

We should memorize this one--use the with Sun.

from the

2. ______ are most mammals able to receive the most information about what is happening in their immediate environment.

Because they use sight
By means of sight

This one's tricky! We need to notice that we have subject-verb inversion, so we must use a structure that requires inversion.

With the sights
Using sight

3. The Consumer Price Index in the United States ______ the inflation rate.

as the primary indicates
is the indication primarily
primarily indicates of
is a primary indicator of

We need a few things: A main verb, correct word order, and correct word form.

4. Some of the most influential works in twentieth-century American classical music were composed in the period between the first and the fifth decade.

works
were
and
decade ==> decades

We are talking about two different decades here, the first one and the fifth one.

5. Although the grammar of the English language is chiefly derived ______ Germanic languages, some 80% of its vocabulary comes from Latin.

for
from

Memorize this! derive + from

with
of

6. On the land or in the sea, carrion creatures have adapted to feed by any type of food that is available in their habitat.

On
have adapted
by

Memorize: feed + on. We should also know the meaning of this word since it appears fairly frequently on the TOEFL: feed on = eat

is available

7. The brightest point seen in the night sky is typically not a star but Venus, it is the second planet from the Sun.

seen in
typically
it is ==> it is (get rid of it!) or which is

Two main sentences with no conjunction to join them.

the Sun

8. Information technology is quickly becoming the most important economic export ______.

in certain geographical areas

Two things: Correct preposition and word order.

for area that are geographic
in certain areas geographical
of certain geographical area

9. Although originated in tropical Africa, watermelon is now cultivated all over the world.

Although
originated ==> originating

The perennial problem: -ing or -ed form??? In this case, we need the -ing form since watermelon is the subject of the verbal originating.

is now
all over

10. In 1995, Newt Gingrich was sworn ______ Speaker of the House, the first Republican Speaker in more than 40 years.

in as

More than 90% of all people who have tried this question have answered it incorrectly, so I'd say this one's pretty darned tricky.

To choose the right answer, we should know the expression to swear somebody in, which refers to the ceremony in which a person (for example, a new president) gives an oath promising that s/he will do a great job! Then, we need to know that we should use the preposition as if we want to mention the position the person is taking. Finally, we need to know how to chance this to passive voice.

to be
to
in

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure Underlines: 121-130

TOEFL Structure Underlines: 121-130

Example:

(A) are
(B) but
(C) will
(D) anyway

Blanks

Example:

(A) is
(B) being
(C) am
(D) to be

Start Test

The bonds holding protons neutrons and electrons together in orbit around an atom nucleus are among the strongest known to scientists.

together
in orbit
atom
are

Sufficient gravitational force is ______ atmosphere; otherwise the atmosphere will drift off into space.

necessary for retaining planet
retaining necessary planet
retained by necessary planet
necessary to retain a planet's

While oxygen is readily available in isolated form, ______ .

hydrogen does not
no hydrogen
not any hydrogen
hydrogen is not

The varying orbit of Pluto means that ambient temperatures also vary greatly.

varying
of
ambient
vary

Along northernmost edge of the United States runs the US/Canada border.

northernmost
of
runs
border

In most states a sales tax ranging from two per cent to ten per cent ______ on most purchases of luxury items.

is levied
are levied
to levy
levying

An iron smelting forge ______ ore into usable metals.

melts
is melting
melting
should melting

Only after losing its skin does snake begin to grow another.

losing
snake
to grow
another

Lost among the devastation of the tornado was the remains of the houses and buildings.

Lost among
devastation
was
buildings

The one in charge of a meeting ______ toward the end of the meeting.

table general important topics
tables generally the important topics
generally the topic of the table
generally tables important topics

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure Underlines:Answer 121-130

Answer
121. C
The bonds holding protons neutrons and electrons [together] [in orbit] around an [atom] nucleus [are] among the strongest known to scientists.

together
in orbit
atom

Correction: atom's.

nucleus is a singular count noun and therefore needs a determiner. 's is a determiner.

are

122. D Sufficient gravitational force is ______ atmosphere; otherwise the atmosphere will drift off into space.

necessary for retaining planet

planet and atmosphere are singular count nouns and therefore need determiners.

retaining necessary planet

retained by necessary planet

necessary to retain a planet's

planet is a singular count noun and therefore needs a determiner. a is a determiner.
123. D While oxygen is readily available in isolated form, ______ .

hydrogen does not

We use do to replace all verbs except be-verbs and modals.

no hydrogen

We have no main verb here.

not any hydrogen

We have no main verb here.

hydrogen is not

We need to use a be-verb to replace the first be-verb.

124. C The [varying] orbit [of] Pluto means that [ambient] temperatures also [vary] greatly.

varying
of
ambient

Correction: its ambient.

We need to use a determiner with temperatures to show that the temperatures belong to Pluto and are not general temperatures. its is a determiner.

vary

125. A Along [northernmost] edge [of] the United States [runs] the US/Canada [border].

northernmost

Correction: the northernmost.

edge is a singular count noun and therefore needs a determiner. the is a determiner.

of
runs
border

126. A In most states a sales tax ranging from two per cent to ten per cent ______ on most purchases of luxury items.

is levied

We simply need a singular verb for the singular subject tax.

are levied
to levy
levying

127. A An iron smelting forge ______ ore into usable metals.

melts

We simply need a singular verb to agree with the singular subject forge. We need to use the simple present tense for facts that are generally true.

is melting

We cannot use the progressive since we are stating a fact.
melting
should melting

128. B Only after [losing] its skin does [snake] begin [to grow] [another].

losing
snake

Correction: a snake.

snake is a singular count noun and therefore needs a determiner. a is a determiner.

to grow
another

129. C [Lost among] the [devastation] of the tornado [was] the remains of the houses and [buildings].

Lost among
devastation
was

Correction: were.

The main subject of this sentence is remains, which is a plural noun. We therefore need to have a plural verb. This question is hard because the subject and verb are inverted.

buildings

130. D The one in charge of a meeting ______ toward the end of the meeting.

table general important topics
tables generally the important topics
generally the topic of the table
generally tables important topics

The main verb of this sentence is tables, which means postpones. We need to have the adverb generally before tables since generally modifies tables. This question is hard because tables is usually a noun, so when we see it as a verb, we can become confused very easily.

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure: #131-140

TOEFL Structure: #131-140

Ellis Island ______ in 1892.

opening
opens
opened
was opening

132. Bill Clinton received his [former] education [at] Georgetown and Yale Universities, from the latter [of which] he received a degree [in law].

former
at
of which
in law

133. [Businesses] are responsible [to] the Internal Revenue Service [to keep] accurate [financial] records.

Businesses
to
to keep
financial

134. John Hancock's signature on the Declaration of Independence is known for ______.

large size
its large size
being large size
to be large size

135. [The] human body is composed [largely of] water and needs a [steady] supply of water to remain [healthily].

The
largely of
steady
healthily

136. Martha Graham was [an] excellent dancer; her body was strong and [flexible], [her movements] graceful and [power].

an
flexible
her movements
power

137. The 1984 Democratic Convention ______ in San Francisco.

was held
holds
held
is holding

138. Montana is the [four] largest state in the United States, but [it is] one of [the] most [sparsely] populated.

four
it is
the
sparsely

139. The Procrastinators Club of America, founded in 1956, has ______ some 10,000.

members
a membership of
members of
the membership

140. Mosquitoes are [easily] [found] wherever there is [standing] water and [temperate] climate.

easily
found
standing
temperate

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure Answer:131-140

Answer

131. C
Ellis Island ______ in 1892.

opening
opens
opened

We need a verb in the past tense since 1892 is in the past.

was opening

132. A Bill Clinton received his [former] education [at] Georgetown and Yale Universities, from the latter [of which] he received a degree [in law].

former

Correction: formal

former is an adjective, but its meaning is illogical if it is used to describe education; we should use the word formal instead, which means structured.

at
of which
in law

133. C [Businesses] are responsible [to] the Internal Revenue Service [to keep] accurate [financial] records.

Businesses
to
to keep

Correction: for keeping

We need to use this pattern here:

responsible to x for y

For example, we can say I am responsible to my boss for my work.

financial

134. B John Hancock's signature on the Declaration of Independence is known for ______.

large size

This answer choice is almost correct, but we need a determiner since size is a singular count noun.

its large size

size is a singular count noun and therefore needs a determiner.

being large size

If we want to use this choice, we would have to say being large in size.

to be large size

If we want to use this choice, we would have to say to be large in size.

135. D [The] human body is composed [largely of] water and needs a [steady] supply of water to remain [healthily].

The
largely of
steady
healthily

remain is a linking verb and cannot be followed by an adverb; we must use an adjective to describe the noun supply.
136. D Martha Graham was [an] excellent dancer; her body was strong and [flexible], [her movements] graceful and [power].

an
flexible
her movements
power

Correction: powerful

powerful is parallel with graceful (an adjective). Therefore, power, which is a noun or a verb, is incorrect. Both of these adjectives modify movements.

This question is hard because we have omitted some words. The original sentence would be much easier to understand. Here's the original sentence:

Martha Graham was an excellent dancer; her body was strong and flexible, and her movements were graceful and power.
137. A The 1984 Democratic Convention ______ in San Francisco.

was held

First, we need to use past tense here since 1984 is in the past. Second, we need passive voice, was held, since the Convention is the object of the verb to hold.

holds
held
is holding

138. A Montana is the [four] largest state in the United States but [it is] one of [the] most [sparsely] populated.

four

Correction: fourth

We need to use the ordinal form (e.g., first, second, third, etc.) here. If we wanted to use the regular counting form, we would have an illogical meaning: Montana is the four largest states. Besides, state would have to be plural with four.

it is
the
sparsely

139. B The Procrastinators Club of America, founded in 1956, has ______ some 10,000.

members

We need a preposition for the pronoun 10,000.

a membership of

First, we need an object for has. Second, we need to use a preposition with the pronoun 10,000. By the way, some means approximately.

members of

This meaning is illogical.

the membership

We need a preposition for the pronoun 10,000.
140. D Mosquitoes are [easily] [found] wherever there is [standing] water and [temperate] climate.

easily
found
standing
temperate

Correction: a temperate

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure: Quick Test #141-150

TOEFL Structure: Quick Test #141-150
Underlines

Example:

(A) are
(B) but
(C) will
(D) anyway

Blanks

Example:

(A) is
(B) being
(C) am
(D) to be

Start Test

Engraving is a process [which] the surface of metal is [first covered] with [an acid] and then inscribed with some sharp [instrument].

which
first covered
an acid
instrument

142. For many [years ago], [much of] what was possible to know was derived [from] inspiration or divination and did not involve the rational process of reasoning in [wide use] today.

years ago
much of
from
wide use

143. Ayn Rand, ______ novels deal with the nature of capitalism in a democracy, is often taught in introductory courses in economics.

of many whose
whose many of
whose of many
many of whose

144. The formation of a rainbow [occurs] a process in which light is diffused at [varying] rates by the surrounding atmosphere, [resulting in] the reflection of different [wavelengths] of light.

occurs
varying
resulting in
wavelengths

145. [Though] difficult, it [possible] for an adult learner of a new language [to master] the subtleties of the grammar and syntax of [the new] language.

Though
possible
to master
the new

146. When a bird molts, ______ loses its feathers, it is actually preparing itself for the regeneration of the lost feathers.

so its
as if
as when it
so that

147. The scientific method is a system [which] a problem or challenge [is] identified and possible solutions are created and tested, [with] the final results evaluated to determine the best approach to the [resulting] theory.

which
is
with
resulting

148. The Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. is [home to] the largest [collecting] of Native American artifacts in the United States, most [of which] remain [uncatalogued] and hidden from public view.

home to
collecting
of which
uncatalogued

149. Many modern critics of American literature have called Mark Twain, born Samuel Clemens, ______ .

as America's greatest writer
was America's greatest writer
America's greatest writer
to have been America's greatest writer

150. In the modern [era], face-to-face communication is becoming [near] [as uncommon as] [hand-written] letters.

era
near
as uncommon as
hand-written

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure:Test Answer 141-150

Answer

Engraving is a process [which] the surface of metal is [first covered] with [an acid] and then inscribed with some sharp [instrument].

which

Correction: in which

Difficulty level: Hard.

Explanation: We need a preposition here. Remember this tip: In an adjective clause, if we have a complete sentence after which or whom, then we probably need a preposition.

Here's another way to understand this question:

The noun that is modified by the adjective clause is process. The word process is part of the adjective clause. If we change the adjective clause to a sentence, we would have this sentence:

The surface of metal is first covered with an acid and then inscribed with some sharp instrument in this process.

You can see from this sentence that we must use a preposition.

first covered
an acid
instrument

142. For many [years ago], [much of] what was possible to know was derived [from] inspiration or divination and did not involve the rational process of reasoning in [wide use] today.

years ago

Correction: years

Difficulty level: Medium.

Explanation: ago is an adverb. For many years is an adverb phrase. We must choose one of these; we cannot use both of them together. In other words, we could say:

For many years,...

or

Many years ago,...

but not both.

much of
from
wide use

143. Ayn Rand, ______ novels deal with the nature of capitalism in a democracy, is often taught in introductory courses in economics.

of many whose
whose many of
whose of many
many of whose

Explanation: The pattern we need to use is this:

quantifier + of + subordinating conjunction

If we make a sentence from the adjective clause, we would have this sentence:

Many of Ayn Rand's novels deal with the nature of capitalism in a democracy.

144. The formation of a rainbow [occurs] a process in which light is diffused at [varying] rates by the surrounding atmosphere, [resulting in] the reflection of different [wavelengths] of light.

occurs

Correction: occurs in

Explanation: occur is an intransitive verb and can never have a noun as its object.

varying
resulting in
wavelengths

145. [Though] difficult, it [possible] for an adult learner of a new language [to master] the subtleties of the grammar and syntax of [the new] language.

Though
possible

Correction: it is possible

Explanation: We have no main verb in this sentence. Every sentence in English must have a main verb.

to master
the new

146. When a bird molts, ______ loses its feathers, it is actually preparing itself for the regeneration of the lost feathers.

so its
as if
as when it

Explanation: In this sentence, as is a preposition. All prepositions need an object. In this case, when it loses its feathers is a noun clause and can be the object of the preposition as.

so that

147. The scientific method is a system [which] a problem or challenge [is] identified and possible solutions are created and tested, [with] the final results evaluated to determine the best approach to the [resulting] theory.

which

Correction: in which

Explanation:

We need a preposition here. Remember this tip: In an adjective clause, if we have a complete sentence after which or whom, then we probably need a preposition.

Here's another way to understand this question:

The noun that is modified by the adjective clause is system. The word system is part of the adjective clause. If we change the adjective clause to a sentence, we would have this sentence:

A problem or challenge is identified and possible solutions are created and tested in this system.

You can see from this sentence that we must use a preposition.

is
with
resulting

148. The Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. is [home to] the largest [collecting] of Native American artifacts in the United States, most [of which] remain [uncatalogued] and hidden from public view.

home to
collecting

Correction: collection

Explanation: The noun collection refers to a group of things; the noun collecting refers the action of collecting.

of which
uncatalogued

149. Many modern critics of American literature have called Mark Twain, born Samuel Clemens, ______ .

as America's greatest writer
was America's greatest writer
America's greatest writer

Explanation: call is a transitive verb and can have one object and one complement, usually a noun, but sometimes an adjective. In this case, Mark Twain is the object and America's greatest writer, a noun, is the complement.

to have been America's greatest writer

150. In the modern [era], face-to-face communication is becoming [near] [as uncommon as] [hand-written] letters.

era
near

Correction: nearly

Explanation: near is a preposition; nearly is an adverb. We need an adverb here to modify the comparison as uncommon as.

as uncommon as
hand-written

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure: #171-180

TOEFL Structure: #171-180

Underlines

Example:

(A) are
(B) but
(C) will
(D) anyway

Blanks

Example:

(A) is
(B) being
(C) am
(D) to be

Start Test

When iron is exposed to water, oxidizes, a process commonly known as rusting.

exposed
to
oxidizes
known as

Somewhat analogous to the Chinese system of writing in difficulty for non-native speakers to learn and loosely based on the Chinese system of writing the Japanese system of writing known as Kanji.

to
difficulty
loosely based
the

______ big cats, housecats have polyphasic sleeping patterns; that is, they take several naps a day.

They are like
It is the
The

It was as a direct result of the widespread implementation electricity that the U.S. had a source of light other than gas lights.

It was as
result of
implementation
a source of

______ many communications companies are now able to offer radio and television broadcasts over the Internet.

Advanced technology has enabled
Introducing advanced technology and
Because the introduction of advanced technology
With the introduction of advanced technology

While it is actually a planet, Venus is often mistaken a star in the night sky.

While it
a planet
mistaken
the night

______ its area of defense, a fort should be built on an elevation and with some sort of natural feature of the landscape to obstruct direct access to the fort.

To better protect
Protecting better
For the better of
It is better for

In 2000 William Jefferson Clinton entered his last year office as President of the United States.

In 2000
entered
office
as President

It was ______ the Industrial Revolution that the United States was able to increase productivity through mechanization.

when
at the time
during
because

______ Einstein was able to come up with a theory that has yet to be disproved.

Other scientists
Similar to other scientists
Just as other scientists
To be a scientist

navin_c

MP Guru
Re: TOEFL Structure Answer: #171-180

Answer

When iron is exposed to water, oxidizes, a process commonly known as rusting.

exposed
to
oxidizes

Correction: it oxidizes

Level of Difficulty: Medium

Magic explanation: This one is easy to explain and to understand. We simply need a main subject here. If you missed this one, it was probably a careless mistake. Remember, we can raise our TOEFL scores more quickly if we don't miss the easy questions!!

known as

Somewhat analogous to the Chinese system of writing in difficulty for non-native speakers to learn and loosely based on the Chinese system of writing the Japanese system of writing known as Kanji.

to
difficulty
loosely based
the

Correction: is the

Level of Difficulty: HARD!!

Magic explanation: Whew! This is a hard question for a couple of reasons. First, the sentence is long and has a lot of extra phrases. Second, we have inversion here. The main subject is "the Japanese system of writing," so, we need a main verb, "is."

______ big cats, housecats have polyphasic sleeping patterns; that, is they take several naps a day.

They are like

Magic explanation: If we choose this answer, we will have two main sentences with no conjunction between them. Be careful of this mistake--it is one of the most common ones on the TOEFL!!

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Magic explanation: First, we should notice here that we have a complete main sentence already. The only thing we have to worry about is using another word or phrase with "big cats." If we use the preposition "like," then "big cats" becomes the object of the preposition.

It is the

Magic explanation: If we choose this answer, we will have two main sentences with no conjunction between them. Be careful of this mistake--it is one of the most common ones on the TOEFL!!

The

Magic explanation: If we choose this answer, we will essentially have two main subjects here, or what we often call a "double subject."

It was as a direct result of the widespread implementation electricity that the US had a source of light other than gas lights.

It was
result of
implementation

Correction: implementation of

Level of Difficulty: medium

Magic explanation: First, we should notice that we have a preposition here, "of." "implementation" is the object of this preposition. A preposition can NEVER have two objects, so we should use another preposition with the noun "electricity."

a source of

______ many communications companies are now able to offer radio and television broadcasts over the Internet.

Advanced technology has enabled

Magic explanation: This answer choice is wrong for two reasons. First, "enabled" needs an object. Second, even if we have an object for "enabled," we would end up with two complete sentences with no conjunction between them. As I stated above, this is a big no-no and is a very common mistake.

Introducing advanced technology and

Magic explanation: This answer choice is wrong because we need another noun to be parallel with "technology." If we had another noun, for example "new methods of storing data," then this answer choice would be correct.

Because the introduction of advanced technology

Magic explanation: This answer choice is wrong because we need a subordinate verb after the subordinating conjunction "because."

With the introduction of advanced technology

Magic explanation: First, we should notice that we have a complete main sentence here and that nothing is missing from the sentence as it is written. When nothing is missing from the sentence, we should add something that is both optional and complete. This answer choice is the only one that meets these criteria--it is a prepositional phrase, and prepositional phrases are almost always optional in the sentence.

While it is actually a planet, Venus is often mistaken a star in the night sky.

While it
a planet
mistaken

Correction: mistaken for

Magic explanation: The correct idiom to use here is "to mistake x for y" (in the active voice), or "x is mistaken for y" (in the passive voice).

the night

______ its area of defense, a fort should be built on an elevation and with some sort of natural feature of the landscape to obstruct direct access to the fort.

To better protect

Level of Difficulty: Hard

Magic explanation: We should use the infinitive of purpose here to explain how or why something is done.

Protecting better

Magic explanation: If you missed this question, you probably chose this answer. We cannot choose this answer choice because "protecting" modifies "fort" in this sentence either as an adjective phrase or an adverbial phrase (we have some ambiguity in this construction). Since the main sentence is making recommendations about how to build a fort, we should use the infinitive of purpose, not the participial form.

For the better of

Magic explanation: The easiest way to explain this one is simply to point out that "better" cannot be a noun.

It is better for

Magic explanation: Again, this answer choice would give us two main clauses with no conjunction between them.

In 2000 William Jefferson Clinton entered his last year office as President of the United States.

In 2000
entered
office

Correction: of office

Magic explanation: The verb "entered" can have only one object. In this case, the object of "entered" is "year," leaving us with an extra noun, "office." Since "entered" cannot have two objects, we should use a preposition to make "office" the object of the preposition.

as President

It was ______ the Industrial Revolution that the United States was able to increase productivity through mechanization.

when

Magic explanation: If we choose this answer choice, we would be missing a subordinate verb. In other words, we would have to have a complete subordinate clause, something like this: …when the Industrial Revolution… DID something.

at the time

Magic explanation: The easiest way to explain this one is to point out that we would need to say "at the time of."

during

Magic explanation: We essentially need a preposition (or some other word) here for the noun phrase Industrial Revolution.

because

Magic explanation: If we choose this answer choice, we would be missing a subordinate verb. In other words, we would have to have a complete subordinate clause, something like this: …because the Industrial Revolution… DID something.

______ Einstein was able to come up with a theory that has yet to be disproved.

Other scientists

Magic explanation: This answer choice would give us a double subject, a big no-no on the TOEFL.

Similar to other scientists

Magic explanation: This is a typical TOEFL question. First, we should notice that we have a complete main sentence here and that nothing is missing from the sentence as it is written. When nothing is missing from the sentence, we should add something that is both optional and complete. This answer choice, and the last one, are the only ones that meet these criteria.

Just as other scientists

Magic explanation: Since "as" is a subordinating conjunction, we would need a subordinate verb here.

To be a scientist

Magic explanation: This choice is wrong because we should not use the infinitive of purpose here; i.e., the main clause does not explain HOW or WHY Einstein was a scientist.

navin_c

MP Guru
Test TOEFL Structure 181-190

Test TOEFL Structure 181-190

Engraving is a process which the surface of metal is first covered with an acid and then inscribed with some sharp instrument.

For many years ago much of what was possible to know was derived from inspiration or divination and did not involve the rational process of reasoning in wide use today.

Ayn Rand, ______ novels deal with the nature of capitalism in a democracy, is often taught in introductory courses in economics.

O of many whose
O whose many of
O whose of many
O many of whose

The formation of a rainbow occurs a process in which light is diffused at varying rates by the surrounding atmosphere resulting in the reflection of different wavelengths of light.

Though difficult, it possible for an adult learner of a new language to master the subtleties of the grammar and syntax of the new language.

When a bird molts, ______ loses its feathers, it is actually preparing itself for the regeneration of the lost feathers.

O so its
O as if
O as when it
O so that

The scientific method is a system which a problem or challenge is identified and possible solutions are created and tested, with the final results evaluated to determine the best approach to the resulting theory.

The Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C. is home to the largest collect of Native American artifacts in the United States most of which remain uncatalogued and hidden from public view.

Many modern critics of American literature have called Mark Twain, born Samuel Clemens, ______ .

O as America's greatest writer
O was America's greatest writer
O America's greatest writer
O to have been America's greatest writer

In the modern era, face-to-face communication is becoming near as uncommon as hand-written letters.

navin_c

MP Guru
TOEFL Structure Questions, 191-200

TOEFL Structure Questions, 191-200

1. It is the lack of gravity on the moon that makes ______ leaps of 30 feet or more.

possible
it possible
to be possible
it to be possible

2. Money [donated] by [philanthropist] H. R. Brandenberg
[was earmark] for AIDS research in [developing countries].

donated
philanthropist
was earmark
developing countries

3. In ancient [times] banking transactions often [were taken]
place in [common areas], for example, a [town square].

times
were taken
common areas
town square

4. From the beginning of the twentieth century to the present, technology ______ people are beginning to imagine there are no limits to what we can achieve.

progressed to the point that
has to progress to a point
has progressed to the point that
progressed a point that

5. It is believed that the modern bird ______ the pterodactyls that existed millions of years ago.

was evolved from
evolved from
evolved
was evolving from

6. A trap ______ disguise is what has come to be called a Trojan Horse, from the ancient story of the gift of the wooden horse from the Greeks.

offered a gift of
offers a gift in
offering a gift to
offered as a gift in

7. The log cabin, [among others], was a commonplace
[dwelling] for the early settlers in North because of the ease
[which] it was able to be constructed and the [relatively ready] availability of its building material, wood.

among others
dwelling
which
relatively ready

8. The Great Fire of 1906 in San Francisco [was happened] [primarily] as [a result of] the great earthquake preceding [it].

was happened
primarily
a result of
it

9. The development of the light bulb ______ partly as a result of the widespread availability of electricity and the need for cheap, clean light.

occurring
was occurring
was occurred
occurred

10. Telecommuting is a new form of work ______ to work, such as fathers with children, the chance to work while remaining at home.

affording those previously unable
affords those who were previously unable
that affording those unable previously
afforded those previously unable

Answer

1. It is the lack of gravity on the moon that makes ______ leaps of 30 feet or more.

possible

We need to understand a few things to answer this question correctly.

First, TOEFL likes to test these grammar patterns:

* make it possible (for somebody/something) TO DO something
* make something possible

In this question, we have the second pattern. Of course, TOEFL will typically mix up the two patterns in the incorrect answer choices, so we have to make sure we follow the pattern exactly.

Second, this question is a little trickier because the adjective possible comes before the noun leaps instead of after it, which we sometimes do in English.

Want to know why we put the noun after the adjective here? Yeah, of course you do. It's really quite simple. In English, we generally put the shorter part FIRST. In class, TestMagic calls this the "Short One First" rule. So, possible is shorter than leaps of thirty feet or more, so possible comes first. Got it??

it possible
to be possible
it to be possible

2. Money [donated] by [philanthropist] H. R. Brandenberg [was earmark] for AIDS research in [developing countries].

donated
philanthropist
was earmark

Correction: was earmarked

We need a past participle here since earmark is a verb. to earmark means to designate for a specific use.

developing countries

3. In ancient [times] banking transactions often [were taken] place in [common areas], for example, a [town square].

times
were taken

Correction: took place

take place is an intransitive verb and therefore can NEVER be used in the passive voice; we need active voice here.

common areas
town square

4. From the beginning of the twentieth century to the present, technology ______ people are beginning to imagine there are no limits to what we can achieve.

progressed to the point that
has to progress to a point
has progressed to the point that

This one's tricky. First, we should notice that we need a main verb, right? The main subject of this sentence is technology, but we don't have a verb for it. The second thing is that we need to think about the verb tense. Since the sentence says From the beginning of the twentieth century (a point in the past) to the present (now), we MUST use the present perfect. In fact, TestMagic wrote this question to fit the definition of the present perfect tense.

If you missed it, you probably chose (A). This is wrong because progressed is in the simple past, not the present perfect.

progressed a point that

5. It is believed that the modern bird ______ the pterodactyls that existed millions of years ago.

was evolved from

evolve is an intransitive verb and therefore can NEVER be used in the passive voice; we need active voice here.

evolved from

We need to memorize this preposition combination:

x evolved from y

evolved
was evolving from

6. A trap ______ disguise is what has come to be called a Trojan Horse, from the ancient story of the gift of the wooden horse from the Greeks.

offered a gift of

This answer would give us a double verb: offered and is. Furthermore, this answer choice would result in an illogical meaning--that the trap was offering the gift.

offers a gift in

This answer would give us a double verb: offers and is. Furthermore, this answer choice would result in an illogical meaning--that the trap was offering the gift.

offering a gift to

This answer choice would result in an illogical meaning--that the trap was offering the gift.

offered as a gift in

First, we should notice that we have a reduced adjective clause here. In other words:

offered as a gift in disguise = which is offered as a gift in disguise

7. The log cabin, [among others], was a commonplace [dwelling] for the early settlers in North because of the ease [which] it was able to be constructed and the [relatively ready] availability of its building material, wood.

among others
dwelling
which

Corrction: with which

This one's tricky! A lot of people miss this question.

First, we need to realize that we have an adjective clause here. Next, we need to understand that the word which is a pronoun and replaces ease. Finally, we should remember that we say with ease (which means easily), and we can answer the question!

Here's a trick that TestMagic teaches:

PREPOSITION + which + SENTENCE

In adjective clauses, if you see a sentence after which or that, then you need a preposition.

relatively ready

8. The Great Fire of 1906 in San Francisco [was happened] [primarily] as [a result of] the great earthquake preceding [it].

was happened

Correction: happened

happen is an intransitive verb and therefore can NEVER be used in the passive voice; we need active voice here.

primarily
a result of
it

9. The development of the light bulb ______ partly as a result of the widespread availability of electricity and the need for cheap, clean light.

occurring

This is not a verb.

was occurring

We need simple past here; we cannot use the past progressive when we are talking about development.

was occurred

occur is an intransitive verb and therefore can NEVER be used in the passive voice; we need active voice here.

occurred

Yep! This is the one--it's in the simple past and active voice.

10. Telecommuting is a new form of work ______ to work, such as fathers with children, the chance to work while remaining at home.

affording those previously unable

First, we should notice that we have a reduced adjective clause here:

affording those previously unable to work = that affords those previously unable to work

Second, if we understand the meaning, this question is probably easier to answer correctly. affording basically means giving. those essentially means people. previously unable to work is also a reduced adjective clause.

So, to simplify this sentence so that we can more easily understand the meaning, we would have:

Telecommuting is a new form work work that gives people (who were previously unable to work) the chance to work at home.

affords those who were previously unable

This would give us a double verb, is and affords.

that affording those unable previously

We are missing a verb.

afforded those previously unable

We need a present participle here, not a past participle.

Linking Verbs

My sister is a doctor.

The verb in this sentence, is, is a different from the other two that we've just looked at. Like the transitive verbs, this verb has a noun, doctor, after it. But the noun (doctor) after it isn't receiving the action of is because is doesn't have an action, right?

In fact, the noun doctor and the noun sister are actually the same thing. So, we say that the verb in the middle is serving to link the subject and the noun that comes after the verb. In this case, doctor is the noun that comes after the verb, and we call this noun a complement (which essentially means complete) because it adds information to the subject.

So, is is what we call a linking verb. You should also know that grammarians consider linking verbs intransitive verbs; i.e., if you look up be in the dictionary, the dictionary will probably say that be is vi, or intransitive.

Actually, any word or phrase that comes after a linking verb can be a complement of the subject:

My sister is happy.

My sister is at home.

Notice that happy and at home modify, or give more information about, sister.

There are many linking verbs in English, but by far the most common ones are the ones are all the forms of to be -- is, are, was, were, have been, may have been, will have been, etc. We call all of these word be-verbs. Check out the TestMagic Glossary for more information about this and other grammatical terms.

Some linking verbs include all of the words relating to the five (or six??) senses:

look, sound, feel, taste, smell

A few more examples:

grow, remain, prove, become, etc.

A good test to figure out whether a verb is a linking verb is to see whether it fits into the following sentence:

I ______ happy.

If a verb fits in that blank (and makes sense, of course!), it's probably a linking verb.

Here are some more examples of linking verbs with their complements:

I am a teacher.

I feel happy today.

Try to remain calm.

My little brother acts crazy sometimes.

The test proved more difficult than we had imagined.

We should notice two things -- that in each case, the complement modifies the subject and that verb serves to link the subject and the complement.

Switch Hitters

So far we've discussed the verbs in question as if they were always transitive or intransitive, but that's really not the case. English, like all natural human languages, is full of quirks and what some may call illogicalities, and in English, it's quite common for a verb to be transitive in one sentence and intransitive in another.

But please remember that there's (usually) a reason! Let's look at some examples:

The dog smells. (this means that the dog stinks, or has a bad odor)

The dog smelled the food. (this means that the dog did the action of smelling to the food)

The dog smells nice. (this means that the dog has a nice smell)

In the first sentence, the verb smell has an intransitive meaning -- to give off a bad odor. So, one of the meanings of smell -- to give off a bad odor -- is used in this sentence. Notice that this meaning of smell is intransitive -- the dog is doing an action (giving off a bad smell), but there's no noun to receive the action.

The second sentence is using another meaning of smell, the transitive meaning. Notice that with this meaning, the action of smell has an object, food. I.e., food is receiving the action, and the dog is doing the action.

Finally, in the third sentence, smell is performing the function of linking dog and nice. In other words, nice modifies or describes the dog.

Last edited by a moderator: