Finance Dictionary ( daily finance terms and concepts will be added and discussed)

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Change
This shows the change in price of a security from the previous day's closing price.* For instance, -1 1/8 means the security has fallen $1.12.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Closed-end fund
A closed-end fund sells a fixed number of shares to investors.* Those shares sell on an exchange and vary in price, depending on demand for the fund.* A fund's shares, for example, can trade below their net asset value or above their net asset value - depending on investors' demand for the shares.* Country funds that represent shares in a specific country or region, such as Italy or France, are often closed-end funds.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Commodity
A commodity is food, a metal or another physical substance that investors buy or sell, usually via futures contracts.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Common shares
These are securities that represent equity ownership in a company.* Common shares let an investor vote on such matters as the election of directors.* They also give the holder a share in a company's profit via dividend payments or the capital appreciation of the security.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Consumer Price Index
The CPI, as it is called, measures the prices of consumer goods and services and is a measure of the pace of U.S. inflation.* Department of Labor publishes the CPI every month.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Current Yield
If a security has a dividend, the yield is the price of a stock dividend.* A $10 stock that pays a 50 cent dividend for the year has a 5% yield.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Discount rate

This is the interest rate charged by the U.S. Federal Reserve, the nation's central bank, for loans to member banks.* The Fed, as it is called, alters rates to increase or decrease the growth of the nation's economic output.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Distribution
This is another way of saying: professional selling.* A stock is under distribution when volume expands on days when price moves down.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Dividend
A dividend is a portion of a company's profit paid to common and preferred shareholders.* A stock selling for $20 a share with an annual dividend of $1 a share yields the investor 5 percent.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Dow Jones Industrial Average
This is the best known U.S. index of stocks.* It contains 30 stocks that trade on the New York Stock Exchange.* The Dow, as it is called, is a barometer of how shares of the largest U.S. companies are performing.* There are thousands of investment indexes around the world for stocks, bonds, currencies and commodities.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Duration

A measure of a bond price's sensitivity to a 100-basis point change in interest rates.* A duration of 8 would mean that, given a 100-basis point change up/down in rates, a bond's price would move up/down by 8%.*

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Earnings per share
EPS, as it is called, is a company's profit dividend by its number of shares.* If a company earned $2 million in one year and had 2 million shares of stock outstanding, its EPS would be $1 per share.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Eurodollar
This is an American dollar that has been deposited in a European bank.* It got there as a result of payments made to overseas companies for merchandise.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Ex-dividend

This literally means "without dividend."* The buyer of shares when they are quoted ex-dividend is not entitled to receive a declared dividend.

birendra.trivedi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
EDGAR
The Securities & Exchange Commission uses Electronic Data Gathering and Retrieval to transmit company documents to investors.* Those documents, which are available via DBC's Smart Edgar service, include 10-Qs (quarterly reports), 8-Ks (significant developments such as the sale of a company unit) and 13-Ds (disclosures by parties who own 5% or more of a company's shares).*