MBA Project on TATA Steel

SAN

Re: MBA Project

hey dude i had collected stuff from this site.

hpe u find it useful
hav a gr8 lif

About company
Tata wire division is a part of the $US 12 billion TATA Group and long product division of TATA STEEL.
They manufacture a wide range of wires catering to the needs of the various industry segments such as automobile, infrastructure, power and general engineering.
Wire Division is the leading producer of steel wire, with a 30% market share of the organized wire market.
They have wire manufacturing facilities at Borivli in Mumbai and Tarapur.
HEAD OFFICE
City Address Contact
Mumbai Dattapara Road
Borivli (East)
Mumbai - 400 066 Tel: 022 - 56785200
Fax: 022 - 28702481,28702473
Email:
mailto:[email protected]
mailto:[email protected]

ABOUT BORIVILI WIRE PLANT
1958: Special Steel was established in 1958 as a Private Limited company manufacturing Umbrella rib wire.
1961: Company goes public
1995: TATA Metals amalgamated with SSL
1996: Company name changed to Tata SSL LTD.
2001: Becomes Subsidiary of Tata Steel.
2003: TSSL merges with Long Product Division of Tata Steel.
QUALITY SYSTEMS
Borivili wire plant, Tarapur Wire Plant and Wire Rod Mill (west) certified for QS9000 and TS 16949,
AWARDS
Quality circle "Abhinav" of Borivli Wire Plant won “Excellence Award" at National Convention of Quality Circles (NCQC) held at Madurai in December 2003.

About human resource department

MR. P. R. RASTE
CHIEF, (HR/IR) & ADMINISTRATION

The HR department is divided in 3 sections; namely;
1. human resource implementation
2. industrial relations
3. administration

Each section consists of 2 managers.

MR. P. R. RASTE is chief officer and head of HR/IR and administration department of all 3 Tata wire plant namely Borivili wire plant, Tarapur Wire Plant and Wire Rod Mill (west).

We worked with Mr. J. S. MALSHE who is HR implementation manager.

ABOUT MR. J. S. MALSHE

He has degree of M. Sc. And management diploma in bajaj institute. He is with TISCO from last 35 years. He joined TISCO as supervisor of production department. In order to implement ISO 9000 certification in 1994 there was requirement of training for each individual. So he volunteered there to successfully implement ISO 9000 mark.
He also worked as training faculty on shop floor. After promoted to various positions, He became HR manager in 1996. He has participated in various competition and programmes. He presented program of team building as a chief, where 350 peoples were invited. This was big opportunity for him.

HUMAN RESOURCE POLICY
 Tata Steel recognises that its people are the primary source of its competitiveness.
 It is committed to equal employment opportunities for attracting the best available talent and ensuring a cosmopolitan workforce.
 It will pursue management practices designed to enrich the quality of life of its employees, develop their potential and maximise their productivity.
 It will aim at ensuring transparency, fairness and equity in all its dealings with its employees.
 Tata Steel will strive continuously to foster a climate of openness, mutual trust and teamwork.

THE ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT BY HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT IN TATA’S BORIVALI WIRE PLANT ARE AS FOLLOWS:

MANPOWER PLANNING
Manpower planning enables HR department to project its short to long term needs on the basis of its departmental plans so that it can adjust its manpower requirements to meet changing priorities. The more changing the environment the department is in, the more the department needs manpower planning to show:
• the number of recruits required in a specified timeframe and the availability of talent
• early indications of potential recruitment or retention difficulties
• surpluses or deficiencies in certain ranks or grades
• availability of suitable qualified and experienced successors
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION
There is no recruitment from last few years in Borivali wire plant Due to heavy computerization, mechanisms, and modern technologies. In last decade no. of employees is reduced to 40000 from 70000. Yet, Preference is given to son(s) of workman.
They require much lesser manpower as there is centralized management.
They recruit freshers only from colleges and specially post graduate students having degree of C.A., MBA, etc to become competitive in nature.

PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL

Performance appraisal assesses an individual's performance against previously agreed work objectives. Performance appraisal is normally carried out once a year. They assess key result areas of their employees, workers and supervisors. Since it is a joint responsibility of the individual and the supervisor; every individual in TISCO are co prime to each other.
It also enables management to compare performance and potential between employees and subordinates of the same rank. Rating of employees is done by their performances. It is given as per ranks very good, average, and average to medium and below average. On the basis of these rankings highest reward of the year is given to best suitable worker. The better performing employee gets the majority of available merit pay increases, bonuses, and promotions.

TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
• Safety is a high priority area. Several movements to inculcate a culture of safety have been practiced, but the Company needs to do more to prevent accidents and improve its safety record.
• The Technical Education Advisory Committee guides employee development and training in line with strategic goals of the company and long-term objectives. The in-house training centres impart majority of the training programmes. (Technical Institute & Management Development Centre).
• Employees are also deputed to other organizations and training centres in the country such as ITI and abroad for specialized training.
• Officers are trained into business managers through special general management programmes such as at CEDEP, France.
• They are trained to know the changes in environment, market, and in steel prices.
• They also get training of problem solving techniques, conflict management, etc.
COMPENSATION PLANNING

• It depends on financial capabilities.
• Yearly increments are given.
• Compensation for inflation is common for all employees. (flat rates)
• It is decided by union and management where various demands are negotiated.
• It is paid as per other industries.
• Individual performance bonus is also given.

MAINTAINING COMMUNICATION WITH EMPLOYEES

Communication is maintained through various communication channels such as:
• Notices
• Emails
• Circulars
• Calling forums
• Correspondents
• Functional departmental meetings, ETC.

They follow open door policy for their employees.

EMPLOYEE COUNSELING

Certain areas where they counsels are:

• Chronic absenteeism and bunking
• Alcohol and drugs
• HIV (+) & AIDS Control
• Career planning and resolving conflicts
• Health problems

ALCOHOL AND DRUGS POLICY:
Tata Steel believes that the loyalty and commitment of its employees depend upon the quality of life they are offered at work and at home.
We recognize that indiscriminate use of alcohol and drugs is injurious to the wellbeing of individuals, their families and the community as a whole. We acknowledge that the misuse of these psychoactive substances is a major health and safety hazard.
Tata Steel is therefore committed in creating an alcohol and drug-free environment at the work place. This would be achieved through the involvement of all employees and the Joint Departmental Councils in spearheading appropriate initiatives. The initiatives would include;
1. Raising awareness, through the dissemination of information, education and training and by promoting healthy life styles among our employees and their families.
2. Motivating those employees who have an alcohol/drug problem, to seek assistance, while maintaining confidentiality about such cases.

HIV(+) & AIDS Control Policy:
Tata Steel would take measures to prevent the incidence and spread of HIV and AIDS in the society. In case of need, the company would arrange to provide counseling and medical guidance to these patients and their families.

Purpose of counseling: They want to retain efficient employees with organisation.
If they don’t take it seriously they are fired.
But it is the record of Borivali wire plant that they have not lost single employee in last 10 years. Not Even man-days and man-hours.
Human resource management

Report on visit to HR department of TISCO

NAME: KEYUR SHAH
DIV: T.Y.BMS-B
ROLL NO. 5022

Submitted to: Prof. Mona Bhatia

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

I am thankful to Prof. Mona Bhatia for giving me such an assignment which enhanced my knowledge in the fields of human resource management.

I am also thankful to Mr. J. S. Malshe (HR Manager, TISCO) for spending valuable time with us and giving us an opportunity to be with him for 1 day and providing all the necessary information regarding their human resource activities.

My experience

Whenever I visited from highway, I use to see the hoarding of Borivali’s Tata steel plant. I never expected I would be there for one whole day and that also with their human resource manager Mr. J. s. malshe.

Before visiting there, I tried at many places but I couldn’t get appointment. But on one day, I and my friends together visited at TISCO for given assignment.

After getting appointment we waited in HR department office for around 1 hour as there was meeting going on. There was a separate office for each manager.

As we waited in office, we saw journals ‘Human capital” in which various case studies related to human resource management was there. There was board on the wall in which tata’s human resource policy was printed. We noted down it in our books.

As the meeting got over, Mr. Malshe welcomed us in his personal office. We introduced our self to them. We asked for permission to work with him for 7 days. But, he denied and agreed for 1day.

And he asked for questionnaire prepared by us. Then he told us about their plant, his role, activities carried out by them as HR manager, about formation of human resource department, etc. He told us about How they tackle workers problems, train and recruit them, how they maintain cordial relation with them, Counsel them, compensate them, etc. he responded to our questions very nicely. He was looking strict and firm but while answering he was very soft. He spend around 1&1/2 hour with us for interview.

It was indeed a nice and learning experience to be in the HR department whole day with a reputed company like TATA STEEL.

Established in 1907, Tata Steel is Asia's first and India's largest private sector steel company. Tata Steel is among the lowest cost producers of steel in the world and one of the few select steel companies in the world that is EVA+ (Economic Value Added).
Its captive raw material resources and the state-of-the-art 5 MTPA (million tonne per annum) plant at Jamshedpur, in Jharkhand State, India give it a competitive edge. Determined to be a major global steel player, Tata Steel has recently included in its fold NatSteel, Asia (2 MTPA) and Millennium Steel (1.7 MTPA) creating a manufacturing network in eight markets in South East Asia and Pacific rim countries. Soon the Jamshedpur plant will expand its capacity from 5 MTPA to 7 MTPA by 2008. The Company plans to enhance its capacity, manifold through organic growth and investments. The Company's wire manufacturing unit in Sri Lanka is known as Lanka Special Steel, while the joint venture in Thailand for limestone mining is known as Sila Eastern.
Tata Steel's products are targeted at the quality conscious auto sector and the burgeoning construction industry. With wire manufacturing facilities in India, Sri Lanka and Thailand, the Company plans to emerge as a major global player in the wire business.

FUTURE PLANS
Steel Plant Projects:
India:
The Company has embarked upon setting up three green field steel plants in eastern India:
• 12 MTPA* plant in Jharkhand
• 6 MTPA plant in Orissa
• 5 MTPA plant in Chhattisgarh
• Jamshedpur Steel Works will become a 7 MTPA unit by 2008.
*MTPA = million tonnes per annum
Overseas:
• Iran
• Bangladesh
Other Projects:
India
• 1.2 MTPA Metcoke project in West Bengal
• Deep sea port in Dhamra, Orissa
• Titanium Dioxide project in Tamil Nadu
• Joint Venture with BlueScope Steel for metallic coating and painting steel unit
Overseas:
• Development of a source of low ash coal from Queensland, Australia
• Ferro Chrome production in Richards Bay, South Africa

PRODUCTS
Tata Steel's products include hot and cold rolled coils and sheets, galvanised sheets, tubes, wire rods, construction rebars, rings and bearings. In an attempt to 'decommoditise' steel, the company has introduced brands like Tata Steelium (the world's first branded Cold Rolled Steel), Tata Shaktee (Galvanised Corrugated Sheets), Tata Tiscon (re-bars), Tata Bearings, Tata Agrico (hand tools and implements), Tata Wiron (galvanised wire products), Tata Pipes (pipes for construction) and Tata Structura (contemporary construction material). The company has launched the Customer Value Management initiative with the objective of creating complete understanding of customer problems and finding solutions jointly. The company's Retail Value Management addresses the needs of distributors, retailers and end consumers. The company has also launched India's first steel retail store - steeljunction - for making steel shopping a happy and memorable experience.

abhishreshthaa

project on potential demnad of standard tubes

HEY FRIEND, well your project topic seems to be very interesting one..but can you please elaborate more on your topic.???
please mention what are your project objective and what is the content that you are expecting please reply.....

:SugarwareZ-182:

man.manas

hiii,
abhishreshthaa,
my project topic is potential demand of commercial tubes in jharkahand of tata tubes.
and project objectives are----
1.to find out the strength and weakness of the compititors
2.to find out the per year potential demand of tata tubes(commercial)
3.to find out the future demand and future close compititor

i m searching any project report of this topic if not then any one can provide me the sales data and compitiors list and with comparative chart.

Hey Can anyone help me with a complete project on Tata Steel Project?

Hey sagar, very nice topic for the project. I am uploading a document of 162 pages which will give you the complete sustainability report of TATA Steel. So please check and i hope it will help you in your project.

Attachments

• TATA Steel.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 5