should babu's be replaced by managers???

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
IAS officers or the babu's taht they are generally called as....are they really working efficiently??? what if we replace them with managers??
* more effective management
*less time consumption
*dare to learn beyond the wall ...i.e finding new ,innovative solutions??
* less interference by politicians..

or should it be left as it is ...
reading the age old policies & history ....to get into taht position?

wants to hear from ur side!!!
take care
anu

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
The main thing is that in bureaucracy, u have to stand many other things too like corruption and hence managerial skills alone can't survive. U need to have the 'skills' to survive in the bureaucracy. Managers work in pvt MNCs, where the work order is organised and is pretty systematic. U can't expect the same thing in bureaucracy and hence, making a horse do a dog's work, will actually not work.

u have to remember that the influence of the politicians would never be limited and would always be there to affect these working managers. Hence, i feel that managers are fit to work only in MNCs whereas IAS are bureaucratic managers.

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
ok gaurav , i agree with you to some extent only!!!
wat am trying to say is
in becoming a bureaucrate, all u have to do is to learn the histry, previous policies, & other things which might be gud to know BUT the fact is taht now india's political , economical,ecological conditions have changed a lot!!! so applying those theories will be futile...instead if you replace them with manager( i dn't say that a plain mba but with combo of knowledge abt the laws & with a managerial outlook)..they will be able to think out more innovative ways to a situation!!
see politician will definetely have an effect on them also...but thats where their diplomatic skills will be utilized which will be beneficial fr the state & will seem valuable to neta also!!!

@vishal:see vishal its hard fr me to tell that any such instance as these people always work at secondary levels but as things are nt improving at rate with which they shud( we still have communal violence & naxal violence in many states), hence this question has been raised....

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
hmm..
anu shukla said:
ok gaurav , i agree with you to some extent only!!!
wat am trying to say is
in becoming a bureaucrate, all u have to do is to learn the histry, previous policies, & other things which might be gud to know BUT the fact is taht now india's political , economical,ecological conditions have changed a lot!!! so applying those theories will be futile...instead if you replace them with manager( i dn't say that a plain mba but with combo of knowledge abt the laws & with a managerial outlook)..they will be able to think out more innovative ways to a situation!!

The same policies can't be applied here and we, definitely need a refinement. But think of it this way, a manager is still a manager. He cant stand on bureaucratic terms unless he has been trained for it. Talk of the IAS... i feel they're as good as a political manager.
anu shukla said:
see politician will definetely have an effect on them also...but thats where their diplomatic skills will be utilized which will be beneficial fr the state & will seem valuable to neta also!!!

Diplomatic skills....? Well they ork when u talk outside the system... not within the system. Politicians are always the boss of the IAS and what sort of dimpolmacy will ork here? The IAS guy knows his job is actually in the hands of the politician.

But before i get totally wacked off to u, lemme say, that what we need instead is to change the IAS professionals in the way they're trained. Just like our old policies are to be refined or rather re-defined, so is the training of the IAS guys. Managerial training should be inculcated to them , so that they can function as better managers. Infact, it is being implemented too.

However, all this depends on the domain and the level of freedom they get. U can't expect the guy to be skilful and working in a dingy environment, can u?

amardeep.rishi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
No doubt people here in MP are totally mesmerized by word management and MBA.Probabaly that y people here r advocating replacing IAS officers with MBA graduate.what i think is management is imp everywhere...IAS has lots think to contemplate even a household lady needs management.It's nice to have some management gyan for everyone.Let me tell u...last year more than 2 IAS and IPS officers enrolled for executive MBA from IIFT..howz that?
Crux is is imp to have management idea for everyone..including IAS (babu's wat u called)but replacement of officers with MBA's.....doesn't sound lucerative.

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
narayana murthy himself said that the indian administrative service( IAS)should be replaced by the indian management service as there is need for special focus on new skills & a decision making capability!

it was said in context of relevance of new technologies in governance & adminstration & the challenge of getting people who can cope with mutiple demands & get things done!!
today, the emphasis has changed from control regulation & administration difficult anough in itself to development, promotion & communication.these new roles reflect customer-orientation in an atmosphere of competition.

just to quote....

amardeep.rishi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Lo ye to ek nai discussion shuru ho gai hai bawa!!....well.....the aspect of two exams r totally diffrent.....as far as final result is concern...IAS is way tuffer than CAT...

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
amardeep.rishi said:
Lo ye to ek nai discussion shuru ho gai hai bawa!!....well.....the aspect of two exams r totally diffrent.....as far as final result is concern...IAS is way tuffer than CAT...
i too agree with amar....we are deviating from topic!!!!guys...i dn't want to know which one is more tougher but wud like to know ur views on the topic itself!!!
waiting!!!:SugarwareZ-299:

pratik_mehta7

Pratik Mehta
what difference will it make? the system is such that everyone is and can be replaced(except MP). one cant go calculating the opportunity costs. anyways if babus are replaced,who will fill up managers positions.
instead ask the question of whether the current Democracy should be replaced with Past Imperialism ? only then will such Questions be Stopped from asking.
forming an opinion and implementing it are 2 different things.

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
pratik_mehta7 said:
what difference will it make? the system is such that everyone is and can be replaced(except MP). one cant go calculating the opportunity costs. anyways if babus are replaced,who will fill up managers positions.
instead ask the question of whether the current Democracy should be replaced with Past Imperialism ? only then will such Questions be Stopped from asking.
forming an opinion and implementing it are 2 different things.

@ pratik: am sorry but am nt able to undersatnd the pt u r trying to make? dost yeh imperialism kaha se aa gaya beech mei???please clarify!!!

nirmaljacobk

IAS is designed to cater the political issues...and manage a society..It requires way more training and development than a normal MBA grad believe me..I think it should remain as it is.

RC1327

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
i think managers will do great work than babus.since job is perpmanent they fail to realise their responsibility

RC1327

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
forgot to add onething in kolkata there is a second hooghly bridge which used to be run by govt.it had toll booths for collection which everyone use dto ypass.after the inducton of a private company it has become a total cash cow

cool_anirudh85

hi everyone
actually the point that needs to be discussed is that , even today we can find people from various backgrounds getting through IAS , and after all being an IAS is in itself a mangement .it's about managing people , Politicians , Influential peoples etc, which i think a manager can't handle

One needs to understand that an IAS officer has much more responsiblities than a manager of an MNC.

In short "An IAS officer can become an Efficiant manager, but an Efficient manager cannot become an IAS officer"
Thanks

Anirudh

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hey anirudh
no offence but i don't agree with you.manager is like a shoe which can fit in any leg.
regarding the responsibilities a manager actually handles lot many responsibilities than it seems.they are well trained on various subjects right from finance to marketing.they are apt to make and take decisions in any field as they are being trained to know almost everything.being give the same kind of power and assistance i don't have any doubt in their capabilities as well..just fr the reference no doubt giovt is still running NRHM( health mission) with IAS officers as part of governing bodies but tehy do completely rely on the opinions and assistance provided by the technical teams of managers....they just need to sign on the dot with clarifications...no offence...