For many hospital CFOs today, the healthcare financial environment might feel like Wheel of Fortune. Stiff competition requires their organizations to be at the top of their game; there are numerous different components needed to solve their daily puzzles; and if things go awry, "bankruptcy" could be only a spin away.
1. Take board meetings seriously
2. Stay connected to the community
3. Make capital planning a big priority
4. Be diligent in payor negotiations
5. Work closely with physicians and clinicians by breaking out of silos
6. Be flexible, and support the hospital's overall mission
Related to What Does it Take to Be a Hospital CFO Today?